Canon EF 50mm F/1.8

Soldato
Can I have your opinions on this lens please, £70 seems really cheap, and the reviews are not bad either. I will use this lens for Portrait if it's any good.

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
Associate
Have to agree, a great lense and for the price probably the best bit of kit you can get.

Use mine all the time for portraits

Man of Honour
Fantastic lens, very sharp too, with great DOF:

110_1095.JPG

112_1233.JPG

Not the best examples...well, the first one looks better cropped & edited...but that's all I have to hand, eventhough I know I have about 10Gb worth of photos online somewhere out there :o :)

Soldato
ashtray_head said:
would this be a good replacement for the kit lens?
Not a replacement, more a complement. :)

The 50mm is a useful lens, but its not very wide. Having a prime lens can be good for your photography as it makes you move around a bit more instead of just zooming.

50mm on a film SLR is known as a standard lens, as it has a similar field of view to the human eye. However, with the DSLR crop factor, this becomes 75mm or thereabouts, which is significantly longer. If you wanted a prime lens to rpelace the kit lens as a all-round lens then I would suggest something like a 28mm or 35mm lens.

HTH. :)

Soldato
Joe T said:
Not a replacement, more a complement. :)

The 50mm is a useful lens, but its not very wide. Having a prime lens can be good for your photography as it makes you move around a bit more instead of just zooming.

50mm on a film SLR is known as a standard lens, as it has a similar field of view to the human eye. However, with the DSLR crop factor, this becomes 75mm or thereabouts, which is significantly longer. If you wanted a prime lens to rpelace the kit lens as a all-round lens then I would suggest something like a 28mm or 35mm lens.

HTH. :)

Ah ok

cheers Joe

Back
Top Bottom