• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800GT overclocking, auto detect or further?

Soldato
its very rough - sometimes its too high and you get artifacts in games, sometimes its too low and you can push it a lot more but its a good strting point.

Soldato
OP
aardvark said:
its very rough - sometimes its too high and you get artifacts in games, sometimes its too low and you can push it a lot more but its a good strting point.
I see, further testing is required :(

I like the 488Mhz on the core but the memoryspeed was a disappointment as I have the Zalman cooler blowing air over the ramsinks so I would have thought they clock higher.

But first I will have to see what the CPU, mobo and RAM can clock to.

Soldato
OP
I have been looking at reviews of the 7800GT and their overclocking results, I found 15 reviews, the average of all reviews is 483/1188 which actually surprised me a little, I thought that most would get to 500Mhz or more but I think I am confused and perhaps it is the 7800GTX 256Mb I was thinking about.

Soldato
I find that auto detect overclocks just a little bit too much, my 6800gt runs stanle at 410/1130, auto detect ran it at 415/1150
Ati tool is a good one to use also to test for artifiacts - but I wouldn recommend using that to find max overclock as that found like 420 on my core and 1160 on my memory - and even at that it was showing a little white box that the program wudnt pick up as a artifiacts, so i moved them down slowly 10 by 10 until that little black and white dot disappeared, and it did so at 410/1130 to be 100% stable.
I could probably run games at 420/1150 and not get artifiacts but I know it wouldnt be 100% stable.

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
Yesterday I installed my new parts and quickly tested overclocking my XFX 7800GT and auto detect suggested 488Mhz/1.12Ghz

But should I test further or is the auto detect usually spot on?

You should be able to get a little more out of the memory, but the core is fine. I run my BFG at 485/1200. Found that using ATI Tool, never used the auto nvidia thing. It will run at 490/1250 but I lowered them down a bit for stability.

Soldato
OP
I will have a look at ATI Tool, but it feels kinda strange installing/using a ATI utility with a nVidia card :o

Perhaps ATI changed the program and if it detects a nVidia card it adds extra speed to the suggested speed to cause the cards to burn up making people want a ATI card ......... well, that's enough conspiracy theories from me today ....... time to take another pill

Soldato
i just got a new 7800gt and auto detect is actually pretty close this time - it gave me 490/1.18 and that ran fine.
increased it to 500/1.25 - and i get crashes in need for speed.

i think its the memory and not the core that is stopping me going that high but i'll test further at the weekend.

as a side note i'm surprised how hot the core gets (compared to my 6600gt) - i'm having to run my zalman at full speed to keep it below 60 degrees

Soldato
OP
aardvark said:
i just got a new 7800gt and auto detect is actually pretty close this time - it gave me 490/1.18 and that ran fine.
increased it to 500/1.25 - and i get crashes in need for speed.

i think its the memory and not the core that is stopping me going that high but i'll test further at the weekend.

as a side note i'm surprised how hot the core gets (compared to my 6600gt) - i'm having to run my zalman at full speed to keep it below 60 degrees
The memorychips that are used on 7800GT's are rated at 2ms so they run at max speed when at stock, that is why the memory overclocks are modest.

My core also gets quite hot, I have a Zalman VF700-Cu connected to a fancontroller, at 7V and 490/1120 the core gets to 71C max under full load, at 12V this is a few degrees lower but I start to hear it too much and I hate noise.

Still, my old unlocked/overclocked 6800NU ran at up to 100C for a while without problems so I'm not that worried and I also saw posts of people with ATI XT1900XTX cards that get to 100C

Soldato
yeah, the noise is irritating, especially as i often leave the pc on overnight - i'll probably get the best core i can out of it using the fan at 12v and then put it down to 7v and see what happens - whether the extra heat makes a real difference or not.

i only put the fan and heatsinks on last night anyway so it will take a day or so for the thermal compound/tape to reach its optimum performance.

Soldato
OP
aardvark said:
yeah, the noise is irritating, especially as i often leave the pc on overnight - i'll probably get the best core i can out of it using the fan at 12v and then put it down to 7v and see what happens - whether the extra heat makes a real difference or not.

i only put the fan and heatsinks on last night anyway so it will take a day or so for the thermal compound/tape to reach its optimum performance.
If the card is stable when it's under heavy load I'm not bothered that it is going towards 80C, GPU's can take the heat a lot better than CPU's, the thermal threshold temp for a 7800GT is 115C

Back
Top Bottom