Fitness - Need to improve mine!

Soldato
Hi guys,

Last night our 5-a-side team had the bare minimum of 5 players after we were let down by our other 2guys.

Anyway, it made me realise how unfit I actually am.

I weight 66kg and 170cm. I think I could do with being about 55kg.

My diet is not unhealthy, I dont eat loads of rubbish or ready meals. Proper veg/meat based meals. Standard stuff, roast dinners, lasagne/bolognese, fish meals. Once a week I will have a pizza or take away, I don't eat loads of it though.

I have mild Asthma but don't think this is why I get tired, I think it's because other than playing footy I dont do any real excercise. My job is active and not sat at a desk but not strenuous. Sometimes an inhaler gives me a real light head so I prefer not to take it anyway.

So, if I can get some advice on possible diet changes and very effective methods to boost my fitness level. I am not looking on beefing up or getting stronger, just getting to a level so I can run around for the entire 5-a-side match and still put on some darting sprints at the end of the match like I am able to at the beginning.

Thanks,

Chris

EDIT - Last year I used to go to the gym and mainly concentrated on CV excercises and found I had loads more energy and could go for most of the match. I can't really afford gym at the moment so looking for much cheaper alternatives. Some sort of program or ideas for one, I have never written one.

Last edited:
Soldato
As a fellow Asthma suffere and 5-a-side player I feel your pain.

I only started playing 2 months ago and used to laugh when people told me that it was going to be a real test of fitness. I do Jujitsu and go to the gym regularly yet I still struggled for fitness during a game.

However having played for a few weeks now my fitness is improving. Last session I still had plenty of energy even after an hour on the pitch.

In the short term I'd recommend going for a run maybe twice a week but really vary the pace you run at. Do stuff like run at a moderate pace for 2 lamposts and then sprint to the next one etc. It's called fartlekking or something like that I think.

Associate
55kilos, are you trying to waste away? Thats around 8 1/2 stone. If you are eating healthily just do more exercise. Try 3 or 4 times a week. May be if you can go out on a run during your lunch break? Gets you away from the office, and allows a structure that doesn't eat into your lift too much.

I run at least four times a week now, but when I started exercise again after years of boozing and smoking, I started with running for 20 minutes 3 times a week, and built that up, over a few months, so that each of my runs was 45 minutes.

Soldato
Your weight seems fine, I wouldnt know what to advice with having asthma otherwise its just simply pushing yourself on the cardio side of things along with a healthy diet.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips guys, I used to do a lot of CV stuff at the gym.

I think I could do this in the street so will start giving it a go.

Will probably get a bright bib though as it's still quite dark at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom