Linux file server, help

Associate
Hi i need to set up a linux file server, on a windows network. Boss to tight to buy any more licences.

What would be the best version of linux to do this? Is there any software to make this task easier? Any other advice?

Oh and if any one has any guides or tutorials on this, i would be glad of a link.

Cheers!

Soldato
My personal choice would be a SuSE server as its very easy to set up through Yast. Problem is, SuSE is a bit bloaty - you'd have to use OpenSuse if you don't want to pay.

For speed and downright linuxiness I'd say Debian - but if you haven't done anything with Linux before this might not be best.
www.aboutdebian.com has some reasonable guides, the main debian does too.
ArchLinux and Vector linux might be worth looking into for stable releases with good hardware support.

p.s; Bear in mind that other people on this forum know much more than me about what would be best ;)

Associate
OP
I have a used Ubuntu on the desktop before and was actuall very impressed, i might give the server version a try for this project. I will take a look at the provided links.

Thanks

Associate
ubuntu server install :)

bit harder than fedora or suse but install in less that about 400meg :) if you need a gui / server type distro centos ;) plus really easy to do shares and permissions in centos. also check out webmin as well.

Cheers
Deano

Soldato
I'd go with Ubuntu Server install and then use Samba to share the files with Windows users. I use Debian Sarge 3.1 as my host operating system but Ubuntu seems to be aimed at new Linux users.

I used this site for learning about Samba for my own network at home.

Back
Top Bottom