• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help please, Socket A compatibility?

Soldato
I have 2 socket A mobos (462 pin).
One is a Uwave2 from a Compaq 5000, it takes SDRAM and has an Athlon cpu.
The other is an ASRock K7S41, it takes DDR and has a Sempron CPU.

Can I just put the Sempron cpu in the Compaq mobo to test it? Is there any problem with fsb speeds or different vcores? :confused:

Associate
Probably not, as the FSB of the chips is likely to be very different. If the Athlon chip runs SDRam it's only going to be 100/133 mhz FSB

The sempron board as it is DDR will be 200/266/333/ possibly upto 400mhz FSB. The Athlon chip won't run in the sempron board, but the sempron chip would possibly run in the athlon board, although only at 100/133mhz FSB, but voltages may not be enoguh, probably making it slower than the current Athlon chip thats in there.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks Soul Rider,
I just wanted to find out if the Sempron is working ok, and the Compaq is the only other 'Socket A' mobo I have. I think I'll just bring it to a mate's house to test it, rather than risk damaging it (even though it would be underclocked, I'm wary of vcore differences).

Back
Top Bottom