are my chips still good?

Associate
It may sound an odd question but I left my frozen chips out by accident and they half defrosted. Anyway I slung them back in the freezer and read the back of the bag. It says something about not using them once they have defrosted or something along those lines although I dont see why not its just potatoe right? :confused:

Permabanned
It is just potato, but there may be all sorts of bugs on the surface of the chips that have been reawakened and bred.

Better to just sling them out for the sake of a few quids worth of chips.....

Associate
meh- they'll prolly be ok- cooking them will kill any germs- i know of no bacteria that will survive a 200c oven

<science>
the act of freezing causes the water in the tissue cells of the potato to expand, often bursting the cells....freezing/defrosting/freezing would cause the...uhmm..structural integrity...of the chip to degrade...
</science>

*ahem*

Soldato
Ok.. I have worked in food retail for 14 years now and have always said to customers not to re-freeze anything. I know for a fact that re-freezing food is OK as long as it is cooked properly..

Putting your chips back in the freezer will be ok.

Theres been a lot of times I have took a chicken out of freezer and not used it and put it back in only to use it months later. Im still here.. Same with any products really..

3 minutes in oven or on stove at anything above 100oc will kill any harmfull nasties that may lurk on the food...

Btw any people here ever eat fish and cod in perticular? If so Have you ever had a small little worm type thing on your fish???? Let me know..

Back
Top Bottom