PHP database website without server?

Associate
Hi. I'm plannign on building a php website using a database which will ahve to be constantly updated. i was hoping i could upload everything to the domain but every tutorial i have read about php says to use a webserver on your computer.

is this the only option? or can i later move everything to the domain (i haven't bought it yet).just i don't trust my computer. firstly it doesn't have a static ip address. the internet is provided by talktalk and so is on and off. and it's quite old and maybe prone to failure.

Soldato
Install some web server software such as XAMPP for testing on your local machine. When you have everything how you want it, you will have to upload the files to some web space (with PHP/database support, but 99.9% of hosts fit that criteria), create the database on the server and add whatever information you require to the database.

A domain name alone cannot host a website; it just points to the IP address of your web server. You will need some web space to point the domain to :)

Associate
OP
well the tutorial told me to install apache with mysql and php. is apache jsut a different company to xampp but do they so the same thing?

so after i've finished the website, i just upload all the files in the apache htdocs directory (this is where the files i can see at http://localhost/ are) to some webspace which i have to buy later, and then i buy a domain name which simply points to the webspace.

that right?

Man of Honour
You can run a PHP/MySQL setup wherever you like, and move it to wherever you like.

But if you run it locally then that saves needing to re-upload files every time you edit them :)

Associate
Another vote for XAMPP here, extremely easy to set up, has everything you will need to develop your own php/mysql site and increases productivity as you are not constantly FTP'ing to a remote site.

Caporegime
Dj_Jestar said:
The 3rd factor is that most home ISP's no longer allow their users to run servers on home lines.

Not totally true.
Only a handful block it, virtually none will kick you for it, and it's irrelevant if it's only being used for dev work (ie not intended for masses of outside folks to look at).

Associate
if i`m using sessions right i need to create a temp folder on local apache server dont i, i tried that once before, but they didnt wokr all the time, so i stick with webserver for most testing, cos it just works on there.

Back
Top Bottom