Travelling abroad and stupid insurance companies!

Soldato
Ok guys need some advice. I'm currently in the middle of training to be a pilot and as part of the course in April I will be going to the US for 18weeks to do part of my flying training. Whilst away I thought it would be a good idea to put my gf on the policy so that she can use it whilst I'm away and keep it ticking over. When I spoke to my insurers (Churchill) they informed that I can't do this as because I am leaving the country for more then 90days my policy will be invalid. So on top of her not being able to drive it I won't have any insurance at all for it when I'm away :mad: Obviously not happy. Any advice on what to do? Can't obviously insure car in gfs name as its not registered in her name, plus shes got no NCBs so would cost loads. Any advice on what to do would be great!

Soldato
Are you sure they didn't mis-understand and think that you were taking the car with you?
I thought you could insure the car in her name though (it might depend on the company though), they'll just want all your details etc as you're the owner.

Soldato
OP
Yea I explained what I was doing. Problem with just insuring her is that it will cost a fortune as shes not got any NCBs. Anyone else ever had this problem? Surely there must be quite a lot of people that regularly go abroad?

Soldato
My friend is at oxford airschool atm, but I think he may be a year above you, as he came back from arizona in november. 25 of them went to BA for an assessment day, with BA only having one job on offer and the lucky git got it! Hes starting around May!!

As for the insurance....how much NCB do you have, and have you been with them for more than a year? Usually if you have been with a company for more than a year, then you can cancel your policy but lose that years NCB you have been building up.

Man of Honour
Call them up again and mention nothing about leaving the country. Add her to the policy as you normally would. If something unforseen should happen you're only a flight away and the insurance company will be none the wiser about your absence for more than 90 days.

Soldato
OP
well I've already told them about it so not saying anything probably isn't an option. Flying back if she has a bump is also not really possible, nor cheap. She is also not prepared to drive a car which isn't technically insured, which I totally agree with. Am just annoyed at churchill. I've got 5yrs NCB, only been with churchill since September 05.

Man of Honour
If you don't want to take the risk of mentioning nothing about leaving the country then you have no other option but to insure her outright on it.
To be honest I'd just say nothing, I doubt they have actually recorded any details of your trip away. Insurance companies aren't as anal as some people make them out to be.

Back
Top Bottom