BEFSR41 - lost install CD

Soldato
I have a Linksys BEFSR42 wired 4 port router, and I have lost the installation CD, can't find it no where, Can you guys reccomend any places where I can get the installatin file? Ive looked on the site with no luck, and I have had the router over a year. As at the mo I am unable to use this router which is a bummer and my family will need internet access sooner than later :rolleyes:

Cheers

Soldato
Are you sure it actually came with an installation CD? If it's a standard, modern router you should just be able to connect a machine to it via ethernet and configure it through a web browser with an IP along the lines of 192.168.0.1

Edit: Had a look on the linksys site, and it seems the default IP address is 192.168.1.1. Try connecting the router to a computer, opening Internet Explorer and entering that IP address into the address bar

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ive always had to use the CD to get the router working. Otherwise it wont connect to the internet. I have just tried the IP and it doesnt work, it works when I had the installation files installed though as I used to use it.

Caporegime
Like Al Vallario says, you shouldn't need the CD at all.

When you connect to it, is the machine actually assigned an IP or anything?
The output from start, run, cmd, ipconfig /all wouldn't go amiss - if the machine isn't given an IP by the router, or gets one in a different subnet, it's not going to work with or without the CD.

Soldato
OP
I get this when connected to the router via cmd:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dan-7f99156c653
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Co
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-D3-13-59-BC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.31.144.39
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 February 2006 22:00:34
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 February 2006 22:00:34

And I can log in to the router, I just dont no what I need to change to get internet activity, as with the CD, It automaticly did it for me.

Caporegime
You shouldn't need to change that much actually. It's more useful from the perspective of seeing what's going on.

First step would be switch both off, hook them up, fire the modem up, wait for the lights to settle down, then switch the router on. Should all work from there.

Caporegime
Suspect all the CD was doing was spoofing your network card's MAC address on the router's WAN port (and then the modem would connect, the same as if it were connected to the PC directly).

Back
Top Bottom