Need a new CD player. Marantz

Soldato
Hi

My Marantz CD67 has given up after about 10 years. Could probably fix it but though it was time for an upgrade.
I have seen the Marantz CD6000 ose on an auction site, currently sitting at £155. how much would you pay for a second hand one of these in excellent condition.
I don’t really want to go too high.
Could I get something brand new, maybe the marantz CD5001 for £150, and still be happy. I love my music, however I’m not a complete audiophile when it comes to equipment.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Soldato
i have a CD6000OSE LE

paid about £250 new for it at the pile-it-high hifi retailer, 3 4 years ago now

it's a good player, although very touchy with regards to CD-R's and RW's, they'll play most of the time, but occasionally you'll get "error" displayed on the screen. also, dont try track skipping through them, that's a sure fire way to error.

it sounds good, though since my recent amp/speaker upgrade i've had the hankering for something a little higher-end. i'd pay perhaps £125 tops for a used one.

there's a CD17, an altogether better player on the auction site with 10 hours to go for about £155 at the mo

Last edited:
Soldato
I would just like to repeat what Saytan said as I have the same model and problems.You could try looking for a NAD CD player for similar money as they have good write ups.

Associate
I've got the Marantz CD5000SE and i havent had the read error problems apart from a couple of really scractched disks that lived on the floor of my car for a while so thats pair enough.

Associate
Got a marantz CD6000 Ki for 200 s/h. Havent had any of the problems mentioned, but then I havent played a single copy on it. Sound quality is exceptional for the price I paid. But as said, go have demo of some other cd players as well. But I can higly recommend the CD6000Ki

Soldato
Have a listen in Audiofile Objective if there is one near you as well as Superfi. Richer Sounds will just want to sell you some of their Cambridge Audio stuff, and you may not get a listen either as they have a distinct lack of demo rooms.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would stick with marantz. A cdp was never on my list of things to buy, as i thought my emu soundcard and modifications would be more than enough. I got a CD60mk2 off the bay for £45 quid delivered. Partnered with a £25 'Mark Grant' interconnect cable, it destroys the soundcard.

Plus modifications are simple, if you have basic soldering skills, and the guys over at diyaudio forum are very helpfull. For £120 you can get an upgraded clock, and voltage regulators. Then spend another £50 on some new caps, op-amps, and a shielded power cable, and £30 on 3 oak feet and bitumen sound deadening, AND YOUR SET. That player would eat anything up to the 500-600 mark.

I would say stick with the tried and tested marantz players, or go for a rega planet off the bay, as i have only heard good things about them.

ad

Soldato
OP
yeah, i know marantz make good gear and i don't want to fill my head with other options because i'll go mad :p

i only have a Richer sounds near me so i'm not spoilt for choice when it comes to hi fi stores. they have the marantz cd5001 which i'm considering also.

Soldato
adfinni said:
I would say stick with the tried and tested marantz players, or go for a rega planet off the bay, as i have only heard good things about them.

ad

I've had Marantz, ARCAM and Rega CD players and they've all be great, I ove my Rega Planet but be warned it has a Marmite design ;)

MB

Soldato
Matblack said:
I ove my Rega Planet but be warned it has a Marmite design ;)

They sure do, but I really like them.

I've got a Marantz CD6000KI and I can't fault it. It sounds like I've been lucky as mine doesn't seem to find if I give it a pressed CD or a CDR but that said I thought the media problems were with the CD6000OSE and so on which have a different transport to the KI.

The remote is a bit crappy looking, but I've got a Logitech Harmony 855 so that doesn't bother me.

Back
Top Bottom