• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

G71 / 7900 GTX news?

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
I noticed the IQ quality when i first went ATi, went from a GF4 Ti4600 to a 9800pro, and i was blown away straight away by the IQ. :)

I made the jump from a Ti4200 to a 9800Pro and didn't really notice much... by IQ do you mean baseline rendering quality or the addition of AA and AF?

Maybe it's because back then I had an analogue 15" TFT, so the improvement could have been less striking!

Suman

Permabanned
multisample AA I would guess.

If he is trying to say you cant run HDR and AA at same time on Nvidia (and ATI btw) cards, thats no longer true, all 6000/7000 cards can show this on that modded patch for farcry 1.3.

But I dont know if thats what he is trying to say.

Caporegime
LoadsaMoney said:
I noticed the IQ quality when i first went ATi, went from a GF4 Ti4600 to a 9800pro, and i was blown away straight away by the IQ. :)

What an amazingly fair comparison!

I went from an ATI Rage 128 Pro to a GF4Ti and was astrounded by the speed increase and the massively improved IQ :p

Caporegime
Humey said:
multisample AA I would guess.

If he is trying to say you cant run HDR and AA at same time on Nvidia (and ATI btw) cards, thats no longer true, all 6000/7000 cards can show this on that modded patch for farcry 1.3.

But I dont know if thats what he is trying to say.

On NV cards you can apply AA to Integer 10 bit render buffers, but you can not apply it to 16 bit floating point buffers. With 16bit fp buffers you have more precision and a higher dynamic rnage (hence more HDR effect).

The fundamental problem is you can't render small pieces of the final frame separately apply AA and then combine then into the final frame with out inducing render artifacts as are present on the X1900 cards when rendeirn AA+ HDR.

If you have photoshop then grab a photo, cut it up into little squares arond objects like people carss, trees etc. On each little peice apply guassian smoothing, and then paste the segments backtogther to form the complete frame. At the boundry of every single segement will be pixels that have not had AA applied properly as the the pixels could not sample the pixels from the neighbouring segments and so the pixel wont be a real average for that location. This is what happens with ATI's HDR + AA and is why Nvidia don't reccomend doing it (even although you can on the integer buffer formats) as it decreases IQ and should really be up to the developer to decide how the AA should be done.

The real way to do AA and HDR would be to store all fragment points at each pixel for each image segment, compose these fragements and then use AA on the entire frame in one go usin all the fragment data. But this uses huge ammounts of memory and resoirces which is why it isn't done. Nvidias CEO david Kirk stated you would need over 2GB of gfx memory to do it that way. Hence it wont happen any time soon, and is a big waste of gpu power in any case.

The other thing to note is that with the increase of shaders (and with ATI the relavent non-increase in texture usage), then the use of AA becomes less and less aparent. MSAA does not work on Shaders, only SSAA works, (currently only Nvidia cards have full SS support). The future lies with having programmable ROP units and massive shading power which will allow developers to program there own shader AA and there own HDR compatible AA in the way they want and see fit.

Soldato
BubbySoup said:
I'm really hoping these rumours are true - maybe ATI will realise they are just no good at developing cutting edge 3D hardware and give up.

Then we can have nVidia rain supreme which will surely benefit us consumers ...
Ever heard of competition? Do you think if ATI were not around that Nvidia would keep trying to surpass itself? You really are niave if so.

Remember fx5800? Nvidia said that would be a world beater, but in the end the radeon 9800xt won hands down. Nvidia would have had no reason to upgrade memory interface to 256-bit if ATI had not already beaten them by doing so.

Soldato
megatron said:
Ever heard of competition? Do you think if ATI were not around that Nvidia would keep trying to surpass itself? You really are niave if so.

Remember fx5800? Nvidia said that would be a world beater, but in the end the radeon 9800xt won hands down. Nvidia would have had no reason to upgrade memory interface to 256-bit if ATI had not already beaten them by doing so.
you are 2 weeks late ;)

Soldato
I predict the next few pages will follow the lines of:
* Looks like my sarcasm went over your head?
* The internet isnt the best medium to use for sarcasm!
* You are gay.
* Yes.
* Fanboys!
* Who needs HDR + AA? I mean £500 doesnt mean you should get decent functionality!
* What have you been smoking?
* Hello. I am from Nighjeria. I have won £50m but need to pay a small sum of £10,000 for admin fees. If you send me this money I will in return send you £10m in a month. Please ignore the fact I cannot spell Nigeria.
* Locked.

:p

Soldato
Goksly said:
I predict the next few pages will follow the lines of:
* Looks like my sarcasm went over your head?
* The internet isnt the best medium to use for sarcasm!
* You are gay.
* Yes.
* Fanboys!
* Who needs HDR + AA? I mean £500 doesnt mean you should get decent functionality!
* What have you been smoking?
* Hello. I am from Nighjeria. I have won £50m but need to pay a small sum of £10,000 for admin fees. If you send me this money I will in return send you £10m in a month. Please ignore the fact I cannot spell Nigeria.
* Locked.

:p
lol quality post

Why does HDR get so much coverage? its absolute RUBBISH and ive switched it off in all games i own that have it

Soldato
I like it.... I dont think its worth the performance hit it currently incurs... but i rememebr when AA was first introduced and all the benchmarks with it on gave Quake3 arena speeds off less than 10fps :D
Its just the latest functionality thats been added to games. It adds a realistic touch and although far from perfect (some reflections off some materials are far from right).... it generally makes a game look more realistic.
You'll warm to it ;x

Permabanned
Thats your opinion, esp rubbish on a tftlcd, Iwouldnt waste a flagship gpu running it on one them, I stick to crt till shallow crt or SEDS hit in 2006.

HDR looks ok on Farcry set to 7 but can bloom if your near indoor lightsource, as its beta anyhow in patch 1.3, but I liked it in cod ii

Soldato
Overlag said:
its absolute RUBBISH and ive switched it off in all games i own that have it

Agreed. All it seems to do is blind me with glare everytime I look at the sun, a lamp post, a candle etc. :confused: No way worth the performance hit, and I'd rather have proper AA over HDR any day of the week.

Suman

Soldato
sumang007 said:
Agreed. All it seems to do is blind me with glare everytime I look at the sun, a lamp post, a candle etc. :confused: No way worth the performance hit, and I'd rather have proper AA over HDR any day of the week.

Suman
exactly, everything is washed out so much, the graphics card shouldnt really be doing anywork anymore since its all white

its like peoplle going on and on about doom3's graphics.... when it didnt really have any, since everything was black!!! :p lol

Permabanned
Cause tftlcd aint as good as a good quality CRT that why, a total waste of a £500 gpu IMO. roll on launch of the SED's / shallow CRT.

I was really only having a dig at fact the picture wont be the best you can get on a lcd lol :p , if he thinks HDR is crap thats up to him, dont mean other think the same.

If anyone wants to try argue this go and google and get info on all topics about pros and cons for crt and lcd and then about new SED's and shallow CRT.

I think you need to turn up your colour control playing Doom3 cause its not all black, unless you mean dark, hell was nice looking nice and reddish.

Soldato
TFTs have 2 problems as far as Im aware.

1) The can lag as much as 0.5 seconds when running off the same graphics card next to a CRT

2) The contrast isnt as good as a CRT. (possibly why you hate HDR)

HDR in lost coast looks like an impressive effect and doesnt make it difficult to track whats going on, at least on a CRT.

Back
Top Bottom