What's best way to backup before format & install windows xp?

Soldato
My files in My Documents is about 16GB. I have firefox and messages in outlook express. I haven't format my computer for over one and half years and I think it's time to do reformat & fresh install.

I know there is File & Settings Transfer Wizards but with 16GB, is second HDD only way to do? I don't have any spare HDD at the moment.

What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance

Associate
For the future, partition or spare drive and just copy my docs, export a pst from outlook and copy favourites and gamesaves to a directory on that partition or alternate drive, it's what I do.

Cheers,

SoulJah

Associate
I tend to just copy the whole of the C Drive onto a spare disk - or (usually) I upgrade the disk anyway - so my current C Drive just becomes my D Drive.

I then import the mail, copy the docs I want, archive the rest to blank CDs/DVDs.

I find this really useful - you install an app and need your settings, config details etc from when you used to have it - well they will be in D:\Program files\app name
After I havent touched the D Drives data in a few months, I delete it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for some replies.

My second HDD of 20GB broke down a couple of years ago so I thought there might be other way to backup but it's obvious that I need to buy a cheap 2nd HDD for ease of backup rather than taking too long buring to some DVDs.

At the moment, I already have two partitions on one 120 GB drive - C drive has 20GB but sometimes it needs defragmenting more often than needed due to lack of free space.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom