Good PDA?

Soldato
Looking to spend about £100 on a PDA

Have the chance of getting a Compaq Ipaq 3600 with TT3 for about £80

Any advice?

I want to be able to view and edit word and excel files, hopefully have it as satnav in the near future and also to be able to play the odd game :p

A good battery is definatly a must though

Any help would be great cheers :)

Soldato
That 3600 is a few years old and battery tech back then wasn't too good so I'd guess that rechargeable in there has probably had it.

Editing word and excel files on a PPC isn't fun. When copying a word doc across to a PPC Activesync converts it and you loose some of your formatting. Scrolling around a spreadsheet on a tiny screen with only a few cells visible isn't easy.

The 3600 needs an expansion jacket to add mem cards and other peripherals. You'll need one if you want to add a GPS device in the future. If the one you're buying doesn't include one then you'll have to factor in the cost for one.

I'd spend a few £ more and newer used model which can run atleast PPC 2003, the 3600 only runs up to PPC 2002, has mem card slots and bluetooth for use with a bluetooth GPS receiver. That way you can keep all you maps on a mem card and use the GPS via BT.

Caporegime
You wont really find a ppc at £100 thats worth buying.

A Dell Axim X51 520Mhz only costs £224 at the moment, has windows mobile 5, wifi and bluetooth, sd,mmc and compact flash memory slots. You can buy extended batteries for it as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd go for a palm lifedrive. However this model is getting a bit old now so a new version might be in the works.

Oops - just noticed the £100 limit - disregard unless you find a good deal on ebay!

Soldato
OP
the £100 limit has gone byebyes now :p

could have got a axim x50 with the gps and everything...for £140 from ebay and someone obviously sniped in at the last minute to take it off me :(

Soldato
I've got an Orange M5000. It's fantastic. I got it for £75 as an upgrade (I'm classed as a super-heavy user). I only use it as a PDA and for web browsing. I have my old C500 for my phone. Anyway - there are some fantastic bargains to be had on these PDA-phones at the moment if you have the possibility to upgrade your phone contract at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom