Sigma macro 105mm 2.8

Soldato
okay, was looking at the 50mm 1.4 but have been offered a mint and pretty new sigma 105mm DG macro ex f2.8 for about £150...and I'm sorely tempted
seems really nice close up and portrait too!

any thoughts?
close up seems great, although it can take a while to focus, but within reasonable refocus, it's not too much of a chore

Soldato
OP
just had a play
seems pretty niiiice for my purposes
nokia.jpg

not cropped, just resized
might just but it!

Soldato
I don't have this lens, and didn't buy it for exactly the reason mentioned. Although most 'proper' macro work really needs manual focusing, it was a niggle that I couldn't have lived with.

However... £150? In good nick? Bite his hand off!

Mtx

Mtx

Associate
ill echo again great lens but for macro i use manual focus anyway :) so slowish focus isnt that much of a problem

Associate
Woah, great price for the lens - I paid that for my 50mm 2.8 macro!

Do you own a decent 50mm prime? They can be very handy, so mine serves a dual purpose. That would be my only reservation about the 105 macro, is that it's pretty much exclusively a macro. (A bit short for proper wildlife, a bit slow for action...)

Mine cost me £300 brand new and yes its slow AF if you focusing from completely out of focus. My advice for anyone using this lens and struggling to focus ( if you have an external Flash unit) would be to use the AF assist beam but within your cameras settings set the flash not to fire.

I would highly consider this lens, A macro lens is something you will always use at some point. Its great for portraits too.

Associate
Phoenix_Cosmos said:
...My advice for anyone using this lens and struggling to focus ( if you have an external Flash unit) would be to use the AF assist beam but within your cameras settings set the flash not to fire...

Slightly off topic but I have to ask. Is it possible to get the 420EX to do the AF assist but not fire? (On a 10D)

Back
Top Bottom