Best connection for dvd viewing on a dell2405fpw?

Associate
Currently got a multiregional dvd player rigged up to my Dell2405fpw via composite. Ive noticed it seems to get a bit patchy in high saturated colours and gets a kinda like crosshatch pattern.

Which connection would be best to use?

The dvd player outputs to scart, composite and coaxial.

Permabanned
Aruffell said:
Coaxial be best.
That's digital audio. :rolleyes:

DVD players should have composite, S-video, Component, SCART with RGB, HDMI, VGA or DVI.

At least use Component or SCART RGB. If you've got a fancier player use HDMI.

Audio is transmitted either from L/R downmix, 5.1 DD/DTS decoder builtin, optical and digital outputs. If you've got external DAC/multi speaker processing ie DD/DTS use digital outputs.

Not sure how you would connect a DVD player to a PC monitor, I guess VGA or DVI/HDMI. My DVD player has VGA output.

Soldato
badbob said:
That's digital audio. :rolleyes:

DVD players should have composite, S-video, Component, SCART with RGB, HDMI, VGA or DVI.

At least use Component or SCART RGB. If you've got a fancier player use HDMI.

Audio is transmitted either from L/R downmix, 5.1 DD/DTS decoder builtin, optical and digital outputs. If you've got external DAC/multi speaker processing ie DD/DTS use digital outputs.

Not sure how you would connect a DVD player to a PC monitor, I guess VGA or DVI/HDMI. My DVD player has VGA output.

the 2405 has component

i use component to connect my dvd recorder and the pic seems pretty good :)

Associate
OP
yeah composite is a bit patchy. the dvd player does have s-video out but doesnt have component.

Prices i have seen for component cables are roughly £20+, i bought my scart to composite for £3

Not sure if this will get frowned upon but anyone got any good highstreet shops where i can pick up component cables cheap, or a cheap good quality component manufacturer. would be a great help.

Permabanned
You can get reels/length of cables but also ready made cables, or custom cables. I have some of their RCA-RCA coaxial 3M, about £7 per cable.

Is your monitor BNC? DVD player? or RCA on both?

Soldato
if the dvd player doesnt have component whats the point in buying a component cable?

it seems the best connection you have on both the dvd player and monitor is svideo - so use that

Back
Top Bottom