Mildly interesting, PSP's UMD format is unsuprisingly not a success for films

Commissario
Just reading one of my regular haunts (Anime on DVD), and they have a note about how the studios in general are admitting that apart from a very narrow demographic the UMD movies for the PSP are not selling well.

Finally revealing what many in a number of companies have been unwilling to say publicly, Variety has an article up talking about how PSP UMD movies are not making the sales expected and many studios are intending to cut back. Certain types tend to do well, such as comedies that appeal to young men, but many others are not performing well at all.

It's not really suprising given the fact the format is only good for the PSP, and many people will already have the DVD's so wouldn't want to pay out for a bare bones "portable" version at higher cost than the DVD.

Permabanned
How anyone ever thought that a propreitory movie format tied to a console, a handheld console at that, would be a success god only knows. I mean with digitally encoded movies rising in popularity in wonderfully compressed file sizes, coupled with portable media players and ever increasing PPC power. Then throw in the dominating DVD market that has recently come down in price quite a bit both on the hard and soft 'ware end your left with such a small portion of society its laughably unworkable. Your somehow aiming at the 20-something affluent, employed, single male crowd and then hoping that they dont have a good home DVD setup already and probably even a movie-capable handheld, it just could never work.

Soldato
What a shocker, a movie that costs more in a format that only works on a single device, isn't doing well compared to a format that is cheaper and works in thousands of devices. Shocker!

Next up, BluRay :D

Soldato
they where always supposed to Jaffa and if they did and it was priced right i would buy that version.
TBH it was always going to be a bit iffy if it sold due to the fact the PSP could play movies from memory sticks.

And Blue ray is nowhere near the same as umd :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Boogle said:
What a shocker, a movie that costs more in a format that only works on a single device, isn't doing well compared to a format that is cheaper and works in thousands of devices. Shocker!

You failed to mention that they have no extra's too.

Commissario
OP
Boogle said:

Next up, BluRay :D

Yup, although possibly the biggest shock is that they are still trying to push it, apparently the PSP may be getting something to let it output the low res the PSP's movies are displayed in, to a normal TV (some form of tv out for the PSP).

Apparently some of the U.S. companies are going to start bundling the UMD's with their DVD equivilents, although the bundles will cost "slightly" more than the DVD on it's own.

The original article is here.

Soldato
Yet go in Game and the flippin things take up nearly as much space as the DS!

Could never see the point in them tbh maybe linking them with DVD should have been the original idea but I expect the film companies thought they could screw £15 out of punters twice for the same film.

Associate
personaly i like umd movies, i think it's a good idea for psp owners

but as said above the price is totally rediculous and is obviously killing them

i think the bundles are a good idea, but as before, will probably be ruined by being overpriced

ah well, will just have to convert more divx movies to play off the mem stick

Soldato
I don't think UMD's will really ever take off. Propritetry formats rarely suceed and seeing as UMD is so limited in its uses it is doomed to failure. If Sony can come up with some cheap portable UMD players they might have a chance but seeing as it is well below standard definition it's not ideal for outputting to a big screen.

It'll probably dissapear within a year or so, a bit like those pre recorded mini discs. At least those were writable.

Man of Honour
Sony missed the boat big style by pushing UMD rather than offering a memory stick based solution. The PSP is always going to be a niche market for films, but some form of decent legitimate ripping/conversion program to allow people to watch their dvds on the PSP with approval would have worked seriously well in the PSP's favour.

The big problem is Sony's media division is all DRM happy, and wants to make customers pay as many times as possible for the same content (much like other content providers)....

Soldato
Dolph said:
Sony missed the boat big style by pushing UMD rather than offering a memory stick based solution. The PSP is always going to be a niche market for films, but some form of decent legitimate ripping/conversion program to allow people to watch their dvds on the PSP with approval would have worked seriously well in the PSP's favour.

There is a slight problem with that in america that is illegal.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (1998) made it a federal offense to sell or distribute software to rip dvd's.
One of the big reasons itunes doesnt do it. And ripping dvd's is a taboo subject on these here forums, also making it dubious as to the legality of that in the UK. Although these forums dont like talk of it, the official PSP ones do lol :confused:

Back
Top Bottom