Another bike thread...

Soldato
Hey all!
What kind of hard tail could I get for around £250, I can't ride around here anymore on a bmx, too many hills :( I've seen a couple of claude butlers and GT's, any other models/makes I should look for?

Soldato
OP
Sorry, some more in depth specs, got to have a lock out for commuting and i'm doing the london-brighton so don't want to bob everywhere.
I understand that I probably won't get decent disc brakes for that sort of price so that ok (been reading the recent 'bike pics' thread). I'm pretty much going to use it for commuting and possibly some riding at places like The Downs.

Does pre-load mean it has a lock out, been looking at a Ridgeback MX3 (2006) and it looks like it does.

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH, I'd go for a rigid bike - lighter and no bob. Pre-load isn't the same as a lockout. I'm not sure what price lock-out arrives on front forks but I'd very surprised if you found anything within £250 (new).

For the London-Brighton you really want to be on slick tyres, maybe have a look at hybrid bikes like this

Soldato
I've done the London to Brighton on a full sus bike and didnt really notice the bob badly.

you do want to be on slicks for the L2B but why buy a hybrid just for slick's when you can just put slick tyres on the mtb and do it that way.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply chri5, the reason I'm after a hard tail is for off road riding aswell, I was under the impression that a hybird wouldn't be good for that. Also the l-b is only once a year so I'd be more favourable to get a bike that's better suited for using off road as i'd be using it more for that ( baring commuting, I never commute more than a couple of miles anyway).

I suppose I could get a second pair of tyres for road usage for the L-B. Thanks for the mention Cookie

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Here are some of the bikes i've been looking at:

GT Avalanche 2 (2005), £250
GT Avalanche 3 (2006), £250
Claud Butler Stone River (2005), £200
and
Specialized Hardrock Sport (2005) £240

Going past a decent bike shop today so I'll have a look at what models they stock.

Soldato
OP
:cool: They look much better in person than in the pictures. Went there just now and they have the GT Avalanche 3, looks so sweet and has pre load aswell.

Anyone know any other decent models they can reccomend withing my budget?

Last edited:
Associate
preload isnt the same as lock out by the waY. preload will not make the fork locked preload is how fast the fork spring back so there will still be bob it will just spring back faster

Soldato
Breamy said:
...preload is how fast the fork spring back so there will still be bob it will just spring back faster
Nope, rebound adjustment allows you to control how fast the fork returns from its compressed state, preload is the initial force required to get the fork moving, and compression damping controls the speed of the fork through its downward stroke.

Soldato
OP
:| Quite confusing but I think I get the jist of it.
Would it be worth spending the extra £50 for a disc version of say a GT Av ( Tektro IO, cable actuated disc brake) or would the discs be poor quality?

Soldato
Ibe got a couple of high end GTs, I dont know if all the avalanche frames are made the same, but I like them. You probably cant go too wrong on it so long as the components arent too crap.

On your disc question, it would mean the bike then has disc hubs, which the V brake may or may not have. Handy for upgrades if you dont want to have to get your wheels rebuilt.

Soldato
suicidle_tramp said:
Would it be worth spending the extra £50 for a disc version of say a GT Av ( Tektro IO, cable actuated disc brake) or would the discs be poor quality?
Already answered in another thread here. Although BC James makes a good point about the hubs.

To be honest though, if you're looking at this price range I'd have thought you weren't a serious rider as such so you probably won't need disc brakes unless you find youself riding off road regularly and in adverse conditions.

Soldato
Sounds good. No need to go for an all out helmet, but something beyond the £15 Argos ones give you a lighter, stronger, better looking helmet. Aswell as it doesnt look like theres a mushroom on your head :D

Edit: It may be worth heading down to your local Halfords, they usually have quite a few to look at, from basic ones to CF ones, so you could at least try some, then order else where if you like.

Back
Top Bottom