Firefox Bookmarks GONE!

Associate
This happened to me a couple of months back.

Was annoyed but it wasn't that big a deal. Installed Bookmark Backup in case it ever happened again.

I've just restarted my PC and its happened again! Really annoyed, this time I had really important links on there.

How do I get the bookmarks back, because as far as I know Bookmark Backup was working fine..

I feel like resorting back to IE. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I had so many problems with FF because of bookmarks, it seemed to be that it kept creating a new profile and switching between that and the default one every now and again.

When i tried to delete the profile it created it crashed my system.

Went back to IE, much happier.

Permabanned
Hmm I've never had any problems like this with Firefox.. just remember to periodically backup your bookmarks occasionally, and you don't need to install anything to do that. Also unlike IE it keeps all the bookmarks in a single file, bookmarks.html, rather than dozens of separate URL shortcuts and folders.

Soldato
I had this happen to me a little while a go and like you i panicked. However in my profile folder there was a bookmark backup folder. I was pleasantly suprised - i run a vanilla install of FF and am sure i never created that folder myself. Take a look.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxx.default\bookmarkbackups

Permabanned
Ive had this grief as well

Some kind soul on here told me that when it happens the the thing to
do is to close down the FF thats asking you to creat a new profile

Open task manager and shut down the running firefox then restart FF
and everything should be back to normal

It happens wehn FF crashes apparently

Associate
OP
Raymond Lin said:
its the profile....

go to profile manager and select the default one.

Where abouts is this mate? :confused:

G|mp said:
Open task manager and shut down the running firefox then restart FF and everything should be back to normal

Yeah thats solved it before, but nothing now?

Soldato
I've been using FF for years since day one and never had the vanishing bookmarks problem, ever.

G|mp is right there, if you suddenly get the new profile window upon clicking your FF shortcut then don't touch it - just bring up Task Manager and kill the FF process. Then run FF and it should be ok.

Edit: Phaser have you actually checked your profile folder to see a bookmarks.html backup exists?

Associate
OP
I don't have a profile folder mate - scanned my PC already and no luck.

Followed the instructions on the FF website and it wasnt there either.

Soldato
Phaser said:
i found the bookmarks.html file and copied it back into my profile folder but nothing?
Right, make sure FF isn't running when you do that. Shut down FF, then copy the bugger over. Make sure it's actually called bookmarks.html and hasn't been renamed to something else.

It's been ages since I followed FF's development, since I stopped after it came out of beta. Only recently spotted that FF backs up your bookmarks within the profile dir.

Associate
OP
No luck at all - copied it over/overwrote the old bookmarks.html and still nothing.

Back to IE it is.

Thanks anyway mate. :(

Back
Top Bottom