white horizontal lines appearing on Monitor screen

Associate
UPDATE:

ok well the lines have been gradually getting worse, so i phoned up the monitors dept of NEC UK, they said they would dispatch a new one and collect mine next week sometime. have to see how this works out.

monitor: Mitsubishi diamond pro930sb 19"

hi,
just in the last day or two i have noticed white [actaully more a transparent colour than anything] horizontal line randomly appearing on the screen. they are quite thin - 1-2mm, some stay static while others might move up and down the screen. there are no other effects from it, except its distacting.

any advice as to why this is the problem and how to solve it? i have had it a year+ with no problems.

unless its EMFs, as i do have 5.1 speakers around the desk, and a big desk lamp, but why would EMF effects only show up now?.

thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Move speakers temporarily to remove them from equation.

Remove and replace VGA lead, to reseat the connector.

Move VGA lead around slightly while watching screen to see if "pattern" disappears or changes.

Keep any wiring away from VGA lead.

Lastly...try monitor on another PC.....if still happening then the monitor or VGA lead is definately at fault.

Keeps us updated how you get on. :)

Associate
OP
ok well i moved the monitor down to my room and placed it facing North-South, as oppsed to East - West as it is on my desk. I left it their for about 12hrs.

i removed the speakers from the desk (the bass unit is their but disconnected from the mains) then put the monitor back on my desk and connected it up.

10 minutes later the transparent line were back :(.

Associate
Got a 930SB, got the same thing.

It's the sign of a dying monitor - frame collapse. On mine I would get a line or two (a bit fuzzy) in the lower third of the screen, they'd move up and down a bit like interference then go.

This progressed to a screen flicker every now and then, sometimes if I tilted the monitor back or fore the lines would go. Some days it would be a lot better than others.

Now I'm starting to get a complete frame collapse - basically the vertical hold just goes and the screen collapses down to a single horizontal scan line. Can power off and on and it will come back up but, strangely, it happened less than 15 minutes before reading this post. Had to power cycle the monitor about 6 times this time before it came back up...

...hence my posts about the 2405 and my current frequency to the monitors threads...

I posted it here...

Last edited:
Soldato
Magic Man said:
Got a 930SB, got the same thing.

It's the sign of a dying monitor - frame collapse. On mine I would get a line or two (a bit fuzzy) in the lower third of the screen, they'd move up and down a bit like interference then go.

This progressed to a screen flicker every now and then, sometimes if I tilted the monitor back or fore the lines would go. Some days it would be a lot better than others.

Now I'm starting to get a complete frame collapse - basically the vertical hold just goes and the screen collapses down to a single horizontal scan line. Can power off and on and it will come back up but, strangely, it happened less than 15 minutes before reading this post. Had to power cycle the monitor about 6 times this time before it came back up...

...hence my posts about the 2405 and my current frequency to the monitors threads...

Frame collapse as you describe it may very well be only due to a dry joint in the solder.

(I used to be a TV engineer years ago and it's a fault common to TV's as well as CRT monitors)

Associate
Could well be and, as I said, sometime if I pivot it back and fore, it effects the issue which would suggest something like a dry solder joint.

...but to be honest, this is approaching 2.5 years old and I was looking at moving up to a larger LCD anyway so seeking out a repair is probably not worth it for me.

Back
Top Bottom