C&C First Decade (Awful) - Suggestions

Soldato
To say I'm furious with this purchase is an understatement. I just tried to have a LAN game of Yuri's Revenge with a mate.

- Yuri's Revenge took about 5-10 minutes to load on BOTH PCs. We do a search for help and "Yuri's Revenge is not supported by XP" and whilst this problem is acknowledge, there is no cure, bar “switching the CD to the other CD drive” which is impossible when you have just one CD drive. It sounds like the help support technician just decided to write something for the fun of it.

- After the 5-10 mins, we start a network game and it doesn't load. After the game begins to load, it just freezes.

- We decide to try the normal RA2 and it's slower than Rick Waller running uphill. On both computers, it freezes every 5 seconds for 1 second in BOTH Skirmish and Network. Thus, it is a performance issue.

And so, after 2 hours of trying to get it working - we give up. This is PATHETIC. You just DO NOT pay for something that is loaded full of bugs. I am really, really annoyed! My hatred towards EA is restored once again!

Anyone experienced similar problems?

Soldato
OP
And what's more is you can't set the compatability in XP to 98/ME. You have to launch the games through the First Decade main menu. If you browse to the install folders and launch the EXE files it claims the incorrect CD is in the drive. Maybe it's a security thing!

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Tommy B said:
And what's more is you can't set the compatability in XP to 98/ME. You have to launch the games through the First Decade main menu. If you browse to the install folders and launch the EXE files it claims the incorrect CD is in the drive. Maybe it's a security thing!

What format are the installers, msi files?

Man of Honour
Strange, all the games run fine on my rig, the old games are quite crisp. The only issues I have are a few video files missing and multiplayer going up the wazoo.

Associate
Me and my housemates have been having great fun playing red alert on the lan. We are using the sold out budget edition, it took some patches and we have to use gamespy to launch, but it does work well once its going.

Man of Honour
I've had no problems with Yuris Revenge on XP64, most of the others seem to work, bar missing bits. If you look on the official C & C forum, numerous people have found fixes for missing video files and other bits and bobs. Shame EA ruined the release.

Associate
ive also had no problems,

if u want to lan the old versions (c&c/ra/ra2) u need to install nwlink ipz/spx/netbios protocol

they work fine then :)

Man of Honour
Just played 3 player LAN of:

C&C:TD
RA1
Ra2
C&C:TS
C&C:Generals

Haven't had that much fun or swearing in years! That alone make it all worthwhile. <3 EA (but still wish they didn't eat westwood).

Back
Top Bottom