• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New cooler/fan for my BFG 7800 GTX 256

Soldato
Howdy,

The fan on my BFG 7800 GTX OC 256 is starting to make funny loud noises that it never use to, and it stops if i give my pc a quick knock... so certainly not correct and is quite annoying.

Well I have spoke to BFG and they would replace it, but i woul dhave to send it to them and wait to get it back. 1. I work from home and need my PC so cant go without it for two long, and 2. I dont trust sending a £300 ish card to them and waiting for it to return etc.

So I want to get another cooler for it... think it would be a good idea anyway cos its a pretty powerful car.

My question is whats the quiestest cooler/fan I can get for my 7800? I can't find any that say it would fit on ocuk?

Also when I fit that, can I disconnect the stock fan? Or do you have to disconnect the stock fan to fit it anyway? I dont know anything about it... hell I didnt even know you could buy aftermarket coolers for your graphics card :)

So basically can someone point me in the direction of a cooler that will fit my card (as quiet as possible)? Please tell me your thoughts on it if you have it fitted to yours?

Thanks

Associate
Artic cooling Nvidia 5 revision 3, quite quiet and good cooling, unfortuneatly last time i checked OcUK dont stock em. only rev 2 which arent 7 series capable. (use GPUs fan controller so vary better)
or
Zalman FS-V7 fatal1ty cooler
Zalman VF700-CU cooler
the fatal1ty version has a slightly bigger arrangement, fan and fins so should be a bit better but not much both are very well rated, quieter than stock @ 12V and silent but not as cool @ 5V. they do not use the GPUs fan controller so are either 12V or 5V from a molex adapter supplied.

BUT, if your someone that really cannont be without a card is voiding your (lifetime) warranty to sort the loud cooling a wise move? would it not be better to loose the card for a week to get it replaced under warranty?

both cooling solutions from zalman are available in LED verisons but unfortuneatley not from OcUK. (sort it out!)

Associate
or just buy a cheap pci/pcie card for the interim whilst its away. i wouldnt mess with the guarentee if i were you, you did afterall pay for it when you bought the card.
just my 2p, and isnt the fatal1ty cooler very heavy? ive seen some gfx card bent in some cases and it doesnt look good to me, unfortunately the BFG's dont come with the strengthening bar along the side like XFX's do :(

Soldato
Just buy the VF700CU, the FATAL1TY cooler only has a blue LED fan - thats the only difference.

I bought one for my BFG 7800 GTX and it dropped temps by 10c.

Do not even bother with Arctic coolers for NV cards as the memory blocks prevent proper cpu contact.

The VF700CU can be bought for £17 plus delivery if you shop around, build quality is superb and it comes with ramsinks.

Soldato
OP
I'm still considering sending it back, but a new cooler for it would be good anyway I think... so I might aswell get one of those puppies. But Ill see what happens.

It is the Zalman VF700-CU Quiet Copper VGA Cooler (HS-013-ZA) you are talking about that is available on ocuk for £23.44 right?

Do I need the stock fan running with that? And how do they fit to the card?

Back
Top Bottom