Disaster strikes!! please help!

Soldato
I was trying to solve a problem on my pc and it involved uninstalling and re-installing nforce3 drivers. Anyway it wouldnt let me install the latest nforce drivers, so I used driver cleaner, but still no joy.

I then saw these folders on my c: root dir, they were something like NV******** or something or other, so stupidly I deleted them.

And now of course windows just blue screens on me, even in safe mode.

My question is this... would I be able to install windows from scratch on another drive in there, my d: for instance without losing any data of it (d: that is), then get some of my lost bookmarks and stuff of my c: drive?

Im gutted. :(

Or would i be able to reinstall xp without losing any bookmarks or data of c:?

a reformat is gonna suck some A tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just found this on the web....

ReInstalling WindowsXP

Added 5/21/02

If you need to reinstall WindowsXP and want to keep all your current installed applications and settings:

Start WindowsXP

Go to the location of your source files

Run WINNT32 /unattend

I've often need to do this to repair something that had gotten corrupted and didn't want to do a clean install.

Would I be able to do this from dos? using a startup disk say? anyone??

Soldato
OP
Thanks I'll remember that piece of advice. it just gets weirder, after a reinstall I'm still getting the same thing happening. I'm going for a full format now and hoping my raptor hasnt give up on me.

Soldato
OP
Looks like it could be my drive, its taking ages to format at the instalation of windows. It normally whizzez through it being a sata western digital 74gig raptor.

Oh balls.

Back
Top Bottom