Improve my CV

Soldato
This is the first time ive ever writen a CV, i was given a few pointers on layout etc but im not sure if its good enough, basicly looking for some ocuk opinions on what to change/add/remove and so on :)

also although msword seems to think my grammer and spelling is correct im not sure wether to beleave it or not so let me know on that :D

http://www.cmhosting.co.uk/jamesm/CV.doc

obviously my phone number wouldnt be #'s in a proper one :p

cheers for an advise

EDIT: noticed one spelling mistake already i put stick instead of stock

Soldato
OP
well the description wasnt very specific but its basicly taking apart and rebuilding computers with the latest security stuff, i assume theres more to it than just taking them apart and rebuilding them all day :p but thats about all it said really

Associate
In that case if it was my CV I would be looking to lay on the IT Technician stuff a bit heavier and use more terms which sound a bit more credible. 'Computer literate', 'Computer technician competent' and 'Good computer service skills' are vague and and do not inspire confidence.

If you want I'll send you my CV, which has got me about 10 interviews in the last 2 weeks so can't be that bad. It might give you some ideas.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a few suggestions, but just keep in mind that i've never had a job so I have no idea if these suggestions are actually usefull :p

The first paragraph, I think you should split up a bit. The whole thing is one long sentance. Perhaps this :

I am a reliable, honest, trustworthy and hardworking person who is able to work well as part of a team or on my own initiative. Friendly and polite, I am able to work and communicate with people on all levels. I am always looking forward to accquiring new skills and to improve myself. Able to work with a range of computer software packages, I am very proficient in computer technology.
Just a note here, you mention software packages in the last statement, but the job is more to do with building computers, might be good to mention a bit of that too.

I put the thing in first person as well because i'd say it sounds better, but up to you really. Defintley a good idea to split up the para though.

For the key skills, computer technician competent, the competent seems a bit redundant to me. I'd say it should be all right to leave it at computer technician.
The numerate/literate/accurate seems a bit superfluos as well since you have mentioned GCSE's in maths and english.

Hobbies and interests i would change a bit too :p
For one, the building in the first sentance,t he b should be small, not capital like word makes it out. And maybe start offf thes econd sentance with "I also enjoy listening to..."

That's all I got, sorry if it seems overly critical.

Aagain, keep in mind, i've never applied for or looked around for a job so my experiences with CV's is very limited.

Back
Top Bottom