How long should a format take? (sata)

Soldato
I just reinstalled xp and i went for a reformat of my raptor 74 gig sata drive and it took a fair while to do it. Is this correct? Im sure normally it only takes a few seconds?

Im currently testing the drive with some wd utils, see what happens.

Associate
Zefan said:
Few seconds maybe for a quick format. For a normal non-quick it is a lot slower (Not sure why). Normally takes minutes for my rubbish WD120.
Qucik format just re-sets the file allocation tables and such to empty, so the disc will start afresh and overwrite whatever was there before, but the old data is still there.

A full (or low level) format actually re-writes all the sectors and tracks with clean data. That's why it take ages. I set up a Raid with 2 120's last weekend, took about two hours to format in windows!

I have heard that some companies can recover data from discs that have been 'low-level' formatted. I'm not sure how this is possible, might be that even a low level format leaves some residual magnetic signatures behind.

Man of Honour
I think it is something like 7 passes on low level format before you can be entirely sure that your data will not be recovered(even by CIA or something along those lines). You can get utilities that will do up to around 99 passes for the mega-paranoid. :D

For the original question I wouldn't worry too much if a full format takes a long time, it is meant to. When I formatted my hard drives(3x200gb) I just set it running then go out for the day normally :)

Back
Top Bottom