• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I think my gfx card has just died?

Soldato
Urm last nite, i turned my computer off to remount my AC freezer 64 pro as temps were a little high for my liking, upon powering back on, the first screen with the DFI logo had yellow lines all over it, then all of a sudden my screen is filled with white markings and lines and numbers, then won't boot past the windows screen?

i thought i may have poorly mounted my heatsinc so i remounted and got the same screen, i changed heatsincs and still no change. At this point i thought maybe my monitor is on the blink, but after placing my other gfx card in my system it powered up fine? no screen errors or anything but strangely when i got into windows my nvidia drivers had disappeared?

do you think my gfx card has genuinely died or just the nvidia drivers have become corrupt and needed re-installing?

Associate
i had this ages ago with my galaxy 6800GT and had to RMA it, its possible yes your card is dead since NVIDIA drivers installed or not aren't even running or initialized during BIOS screens, take out ya card and check for any visible damage, especially to the memory modules like burns or anything out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i can't see any marks or anything, just strange when i inserted my other card it boots fine but no nvidia drivers are installed anywer on the comp :S, may try installing new drivers and hope that it was just a corrupt file somwhere, just can't see how remounting a heatsinc can just kill my gfx card :S

Soldato
Make sure you didn't get thermal paste on any other components. If there's no physical damage, then you may have damaged the card by static electricity.
Did you 'earth' yourself before touching the card? Did you put the card on a synthetic carpet?

Soldato
OP
earthed myself and card wasn't placed on synthetic carpet, think it's fair to say it's brown bread :(, mite have a look at one of those new gainward bliss cards now tho ;p

Associate
Now you know why I payed £400 over the odds to have OCUK build it, and even then the HDD light clearly dosent work, If i'd done it myself I'd prolly be in Harris's situation (or worse) since I dont "earth" myself and I use magnetic screwdrivers. lol.

The amount of times I oc'd my old XP2200 to 2200mhz and it seemingly had "broken" itself, but amazingly came back after cooling off at 1500mhz, my GF3 Titanium however suffered the worst death of all at the hands of me (OC'D 2 DOA) this only gave me more reason to get a 9800 pro which was out of date like a week later by nvidia and ati themselves :( but I still enjoyed using it never OC'd it, Nowadays I prefer to keep the state of mind that these components were meant to run at this speed so I simply leave them at that, as easy/tempting it is to OC to gain those few extra 3D mark points (not worth breaking anything) for 3DM anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom