Quick help me get good at Poker!!

Permabanned
There is a mass game of Poker over at my house tonight and i used to be good at it but have not played in a LONG time.

i need some tips in chronic gambling before i make an ass of myself :o

Soldato
TrueBlue said:
There is a mass game of Poker over at my house tonight and i used to be good at it but have not played in a LONG time.

i need some tips in chronic gambling before i make an ass of myself :o
Fold anything but two picture cards, a pocket pair, or suited cards.
Stray from this at your peril.
No doubt someone will say this is wrong, but ho hum

Permabanned
OP
LOL the cheat method looks good but i kinda dont want to go there :p

i remember playing very conservatively usually and let the others whack their ego's out on each other leaving themselves in very weak situations.

Soldato
Nah, keep whatever you get first off and keep smirking then suddenly wipe it from your face and then repeat. Bluff for all the winnings!

Associate
Pudney@work said:
Nah, keep whatever you get first off and keep smirking then suddenly wipe it from your face and then repeat. Bluff for all the winnings!

I rarely bluff, cos it always goes **** up. The only bluff I tend to do is if I have a half decent hand, then i'd try and put accross the impression that i'm bluffing. Which for me works a treat.

Best bit of advice is to not be afraid to fold. Always catches me out if i don't fold when i should.

Associate
What are you playing, holdem?

Also, the way you play (as someone said folding everything but "two picture cards, a pocket pair, or suited cards") should totally depend on how the other players are playing, and how many of you.

If your playing a tourney and you get down to the last few players, if you play that tight you'll see all your chips getting eaten up by the blinds as they go up.

My advice, if the other players arn't too experianced is to slow play, checking can be a great way of giving somone a false sence of security, then when they make a bet your confidend you can beat, raise them, chances are they'll call :p

Oh, and NEVER bluff a poor player, they'll see all them chips and call it, getting beaten by a high card and knocked out of a tourney is no fun! :mad: happened on numerous occasions to me! (maybe that means im not the best person to give advice!)

Consigliere
Stringy said:
Fold anything but two picture cards, a pocket pair, or suited cards.
Stray from this at your peril.
No doubt someone will say this is wrong, but ho hum

Best advice.

As soon as the flop comes up (First 3 cards), you'll get a voice in your head saying something like "Its only X amount, it might be the next card"..you need to learn to fold. :)

Soldato
generally if you have a good card with a low kicker, i'll fold if the kicker is below the number of people on the table.

i.e A8 would be ok if there were 7 players left..

Soldato
if you take the fold on anything but a good hand tactic the people who you are playin against (if they are good) will realise, as you will start betting when you have a good hand, after all of your folding, they should pull out and leave you with a small pot, i say look at your hand and think about it, consider how much $$ it will cost to see the flop, you might flop a good hand, only bluff occasionly, but dont fold to often,

on 2nd thoughts i dont really have good tips

Soldato
Go all in on your first hand. This will so unsettle the others that they will play badly for the rest of the night.

You know it makes sense :p

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Whats the point in not playing for money? Even if you have a £5 buy in it makes it 1,000,000x more interesting. It's like humping with a johnny on; you're doing all the same things but it just doesn't feel right.

Associate
TrueBlue said:
thank god its not real money :)

you are joking right?

There is seriouly no point in playing poker without money. Poker is about skill, timing and being damn scared. Without money you dont get any of this, everybody just goes all in willy nilly, if they lose, wahay, they've lost nothing.

I'm only 16, but i started playing early (about 14), and i usually play for £5, with the chip values at 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and the blinds at 20p and 40p.

As for tips on playing, i will always see a flop if nobody raises above the big blind. If people are raising then i dont tend to go in without two pictures, suited connectors, or pocket pairs.

And, by all means play conservatively, but as said above, if you play like a robot and only play with good cards people will start to suss you out and just pull out whenever you bet. My advice would be, let everybody know you're conservative and then use it to your advantage by slipping a bluff in every now and again.

Remember, if you're thinking 'if' then fold.

Back
Top Bottom