Volvo 960 Estate/Saloon - Cool or uncool?

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Deadly serious thread. Please bear in mind that a youthful, vibrant male who does not own a dog or smoke a pipe would be driving said car :p. Poll would be nice if the mods are feeling generous today.

Man of Honour
100% not cool whatsoever and handles like an absolute tank. Might be RWD but it's got a live rear axle..

But... ultra cheap for the Saloons, and supremely comfortable. Built well, as well - you wont see a paint finish that thick this side of a proper Mercedes.

Estates cost a fortune becuase people with wet dogs love them but nobody loves the Saloons so they are the ones to get.

Almost all are now as old as the hills, however. Ours was developing a rather interesting oil leak in the drivers footwell as it was chucked back through auciton..

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Estates cost a fortune becuase people with wet dogs love them but nobody loves the Saloons so they are the ones to get.

Watch it..!! :D I've just brought a second car, and it was a Volvo 850 estate. For lugging dogs around I might add...

Dunno about thick paint though... Mine is just pure red, and looks like it hasn't seen a polish or wax since it was first sold... But it was cheap, and it'll be fine for "lugging WET dogs" around.. :p

Soldato
i thought the 940 turbo was the one to go for, only about 130bhp though.

Didn't the 960 have some kind of major engine problem where it needed a major work doing every 30k or so?

Soldato
960's if i remember right dont look much different to the 740. I personally find my 740 great. it has full leather interior (which has worn better than any leather interior ive ever seen - heated at the front too), a radio that works, a nice engine with some go in it (it beats my mates 52 reg 307 HDI which brassed him off) and most of all, they are cheap as chips.

Last edited:
Permabanned
[TW]Fox said:
100% not cool whatsoever and handles like an absolute tank. Might be RWD but it's got a live rear axle..

Is this your phrase of the week from the Ladybird Book of Talking About Cars?

I (and others) have repeatedly pointed out to you that a well-located live axle is not a hinderance.

*n

Permabanned
Anyhoo...960s:

Last of the 'proper' Volvos. Built like tanks. Chew up motorways with ease.

2.3 Turbo is the one to go for...

*n

Back
Top Bottom