Slow 1800XP F@H

Associate
Was just looking through my PC's that doing F@H that i cannot acess through FahMon.

I noticed one (a 1800 XP 512MB PC2100) is taking ages to complete a WU, the WU is a 2381, 677 pointer. loaded up FahMon locally on it and It says it was downloaded 11th Feb and still has 4 days, 7hrs (57%)

I'm thinking that there is something ell wrong with that and i need to spend some time having a look. There is nothing else other than Zonealarm running (doing a virus scan once a week) on it.

It is on 24/7. CPU is at 36c
Is this about right or is this PC well off the mark.. any advice?

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah it doesn't sound too far off i'm afraid - i'm thinking of switching some of my slower machines over to deadlineless WUs as they seem to really struggle with these Double Gromacs WUs and the nice big Tinker WUs will likely bring more PPD with them

might be worth a try

Man of Honour
Soldato
Good point, Rich. Athlon XP CPUs love Tinker core WUs. Cou can get mostly Tinkers by requesting timeless/deadlineless WUs.

After thinking about it a bit more I see this:
The benchmark is 110 ppd on a 2.8 GHz P4 with no SSE2. The AXP has no SSE2 so it sees no benefit there. It took the benchmark machine 6.16 days (677 points / 110 points/day = 6.16 days) to crunch it. That P4 a a lot faster than your 2100+ so it'll take you a lot longer to crunch it.

What ppd are you getting? How does it compare to other WUs you've gotten? Just becasue it takes a long time to crunch doesn't mean that it is a bad WU. Ask the CPDN fellows about that.

Associate
OP
Project : 2381
Core : Double Gromacs
Frames : 100
Credit : 677

-- //PCB/FoldingPCB/ --

No Min. Time / Frame
Avg. Time / Frame : 2h 11mn 20s - 74.23 ppd

-- AMD Athlon XP1800+ --

No Min. Time / Frame
Avg. Time / Frame : 2h 24mn 57s - 67.26 ppd

Both the Same PC

Last edited:
Soldato
My 2100+ with 512MB PC133 is giving this...

Project : 2361
Core : Double Gromacs
Credit : 689

-- List of benchmarks --

David ->
Min. Time / Frame : 01h 34mn 17s - 105.23 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 01h 39mn 33s - 99.66 ppd

that's about 7 days for a 689 point Double Gromacs WU

It's only about halfway through that one, i'll probably wait till the next WU starts incase changing the options upsets the WU and it restarts - however I'm sure a deadlineless Tinker can give me better PPD

Associate
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
Major, that fahlog.txt looks just fine to me. Look through your benchmarks and tell us which projects give you the best ppd. I'm willing to bet that they'll all be Tinkers.

It doesn't seem that PC has done any tinkers, so what i do to get that PC on Tinkers?

Who on earth came up with the name "tinkers" :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
however I'm sure a deadlineless Tinker can give me better PPD

When I had my old 1200 Duron on the go (no SSE) it used to take ages to do normal Gromacs - I got about 25-30 PPD.
I switched it over to do deadlineless WUs and it was getting 75-80 PPD on Tinkers - nearly treble the output.

Stan :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
MajorPart said:
It doesn't seem that PC has done any tinkers, so what i do to get that PC on Tinkers?

Who on earth came up with the name "tinkers" :p

Stop the console (probably better let the current WU finish first since it's past halfway).
Run the console with the -configonly switch, when you get to the bit where it says "Request work units without deadlines" type yes and continue as you normally would for setup :)

Stan :)

Associate
OP
Cheers BigStan,

Really need to gut it and install a better CPU & Motherboard combo. This is the slowest machine in my collection. Bit skint at the mo though

Last edited:
Soldato
argggghhhhh - i've just seen that they've released a whole load of crappy Gromacs deadlineless WUs :(

My girlfriend's XP2400+ with 512MB PC133 gives...

Project : 768
Core : Gromacs
Credit : 120

-- List of benchmarks --

Louise ->
Min. Time / Frame : 23mn 15s - 74.32 ppd
Avg. Time / Frame : 23mn 59s - 72.05 ppd

which is about half the PPD that she's had from the 240ish point Tinker WUs before - this just plain sucks :(
edit: hers isn't set to get deadlienless work - it must have just been what was available at the time, there are still Tinkers available but if these Gromacs are new they'll likely be pushing them more than the Tinkers :mad:

Back
Top Bottom