Why does DOA4 need PAL 60?

Associate
Bigpops said:
Plus, everyone running the same frame rate should (i guess) keep the game synced when playing over xbox live.
It could be true; I remember the difference between Halo 2 on 50hz and 60hz.. it was a totally different game online... nothing was actually different code-wise but it felt a lot faster. I guess you'd feel it a lot in a fighting game.

Soldato
Burnout revenge will only let you see 50hz games or 60hz depending on what you selected. Mind you shouldn't everyone have a 60hz tv now? My 6 year old 20" does.

Associate
The frame idea seems like a pretty good reason to me which i haven't considered before. DOA4 excutes moves according to frames (info here ) which means everyone must be on the same framerate or else they'll be out of sync. Two people at different frequencies would be unable to play together because the 60hz person would see a move complete quicker then the person running at 50hz. Its not like other games as most other games core game mechcanics are not linked to the frames.

Permabanned
Yes it's to do with framerate. PAL is 50fps and PAL60 & NTSC are 60fps. A number of games don't let 50fps and 60fps players play each other online, DOA4 isn't unique in that regard. The unique thing is that it forces you to run at PAL60.

Soldato
It is also a cost cutting excerise as they don't have to try and further optimise the game for 50Hz.

I think it was MSR on the Dreamcast which wouldn't let you switch between 50/60Hz in a saved game. I guess it was to stop you fiddling with your times.

Soldato
I really don't get why people are making a big deal about it not being 50hz. It's a next gen title. There going to go forward in technology, what’s the point staying behind?

Soldato
But I would have thought (not having a go here) that if you are a gamer you will try to keep up with the current technology. It's only going to hold you back on your gaming experience.

Permabanned
Well yeah that is tru, and i prolly will end up putting the 360 thru my LCD monitor to get some HD-ness but im just disturbed that they claim it will work on ordinary tellys but actually wont

Soldato
60hz will work on most CRTs made in the past 4 years I would have thought? Well that's the option I have selected on all my TVs and they didn't have any problems.

Soldato
My previous TV (28" Philips widescreen) supported PAL60, but the image quality was pretty poor. When playing games like DoA, I'd play using the PAL50 option.

I've had no such problems with my current Samsung 26" LCD though.

Back
Top Bottom