Ecotek valves??

Associate
Hi

I'm currently thinking about buying a Pipercross Induction Kit for my Fiesta Zetec-S.
Someone i know from work is selling a Pipercross Viper kit (these cost around £250 brand new) and he wants only £100 for it. A normal Pipercross induction kit costs around £75-80.
I am tempted by the Viper kit but it claims to make power increases of around 10bhp, to me this sounds like BS. I've also not heard veryu good things about it, most reviews i've read say that it isnt worth £280 but seeing as i could get it for £100 it may be worth it.

Recently a friend from work mentioned something called an 'Ecotek valve'. Ive never heard of this myself and was wondering what it was. He says it is like an induction but offers better gains.
I've been looking around for some info on these Ectotek valves and to be honest i dont really understand what it does.

Can anyone explain to me what Ecotek valves do? Are they a replacement for induction kits?
If Ecotek valves are a load of BS then should i go for the Viper induciton kit or just settle for a standard Pipercross induction kit?

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
firstly you should just accept that youll never make a fast car out of the zetec-s, youll regret throwing tons of money into it if that is your pursuit.

10bhp on the induction kit? not in a million years. the viper ones are less crap than the usual ones as they enable you to get a cold air feed to it. it will make more noise which will give the illusion of being quicker.

as for the ekotec valves, no idea what they do. from memory it does something stupid like introduce air into the fuel system.

utter BS.... dont bother

Associate
OP
Matt82 said:
firstly you should just accept that youll never make a fast car out of the zetec-s, youll regret throwing tons of money into it if that is your pursuit.

10bhp on the induction kit? not in a million years. the viper ones are less crap than the usual ones as they enable you to get a cold air feed to it. it will make more noise which will give the illusion of being quicker.

as for the ekotec valves, no idea what they do. from memory it does something stupid like introduce air into the fuel system.

utter BS.... dont bother

I'm not trying to make my car any faster tahn it already is.
I've already got a Powerflow full system exhuast and am considering to a buy an induction kit so i can get a nice sound from the engine as i boot it.
I didnt believe it when i read that Viper kits can give an increase of 10bhp but seeing as i am probably going to spend about £80 on a Pipercross induction kit i was just wondering whether it would be worth spending another £20 for a Viper kit.
Just to make it clear, Viper induction kits dont come with a cold air feed pipe, you have to buy that separately. The only differences i can see between the standard Pipercross and Viper are that the Viper is enclosed in a carbon fiber case (to probably prevent heat soak) and the Pipercross air feed pipe can be connected straight into it.

Soldato
it really depends on the car, some they work great on , others there isn't any difference.
but induction kits can make a difference
on my old 214 rover a k&n boosted the bottom and midrange power/torque
it wasn't just me thinking it was better(because of the sound) it was, when i sold it i took the filter off and on the drive to the garage the car was lifeless below 3-4k rpm were it wasn't with the filter on, no increase in top end power though

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Hi Mate

The Pipercross viper simply isnt worth the money. If i was you i would simply get a K+N / Piper panel filter. The normal pipercross filter sounds good but i found it made my Zetec S feel less "responsive" I suggest buying a second hand pipercross, enjoying it for a few weeks then when you get fed up invest in a decent panel filter.

Sam

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Matt82 said:

10bhp on the induction kit? not in a million years.

utter BS.... dont bother

Not Stritctley true, I belive muncher had a ITG airbox and a remap and gained quite a few ponys. Well worth doing anyway, some cars just dont breath well from the factory. But yes i agree with your comment refrence the pipercross cone filters Unless you have a very good cold air feed system.

Sam

Soldato
£100 for an air filter and pipe? Why spent that cash when you can get one for £25 new. I did.

"Race X" air filter. Does the same thing but costs less.

Soldato
drilled air box and panel filter is the way :)

cold air feed depending on the standard airbox(cant remember the zetec s off hand)

ekotec valve load of tosh avoid at all costs

Sam

Sam

Soldato
On the Zetec S theres a little cap you can "twist" off which meens you can connect a cold air feed directley into the airbox. Thats the best bet with a decent panel filter

Sam

Soldato
Sam said:
Not Stritctley true, I belive muncher had a ITG airbox and a remap and gained quite a few ponys. Well worth doing anyway, some cars just dont breath well from the factory. But yes i agree with your comment refrence the pipercross cone filters Unless you have a very good cold air feed system.

Sam

does adding "quite a few ponies" to a fiesta actually get you into 3 figure bhp levels? how much does an ITG box cost? (ive lost track of all that, my car modding days was a long time ago).

the guy is only after the noise, hence id just go with a cheap cone £30 ish

Associate
Sam said:
Hi Mate

The Pipercross viper simply isnt worth the money. If i was you i would simply get a K+N / Piper panel filter. The normal pipercross filter sounds good but i found it made my Zetec S feel less "responsive" I suggest buying a second hand pipercross, enjoying it for a few weeks then when you get fed up invest in a decent panel filter.

Sam

i like his idea, you will eventually get bored of the noise, and fuel consumption is hurt also.
-
ecotek valve lol.
-

enfield for 25 quid it will filter probably about as fgood as a verry dirty sock put on inside out over your inducion pipe...
if its a newer car with an air flow meter this can harm it.
i ran a cheep filter on my nova becouse well i dident care and it was given. lol
but on my pride and joy wich is my mini nothing less than the JR thats on it will do.

Dan

Soldato
minidan said:
enfield for 25 quid it will filter probably about as fgood as a verry dirty sock put on inside out over your inducion pipe...
if its a newer car with an air flow meter this can harm it.

It's universal, and you don't pay for a big brand that's why it's cheap. It's as good as any other filter.

It was fitted to my 205 1.4i GT and it made quite a difference. The sound was nice, fairly quiet when driving normally but nice and loud when booting it :D

Loved that engine (TU3S).

Soldato
Mine cost £375, supposed to give 12bhp according to ITG, they say more improvement than on any other of their filters. Impossible to tell the difference of course, I doubt most people could feel the difference simply through driving it. It was expensive, but for the long term, probably the best option.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Matt82 said:
does adding "quite a few ponies" to a fiesta actually get you into 3 figure bhp levels? how much does an ITG box cost? (ive lost track of all that, my car modding days was a long time ago).

the guy is only after the noise, hence id just go with a cheap cone £30 ish

The Fiesta Zetec S is allready into " 3 figure bhp levels " :p There very expensive and you cant get them for the fiesta.

Again i agree with dan i wouldent ever touch a cheap cone airfilter, I just wouldent trust it :)

Associate
enfield then you will be 25 quid better off and not have a filter, does exactly the same thing:) all i am saying is it WILL NOT filter the air as good as a more expensive one. i guarantee it. but aslong as its not a brand new motor, or at least one you care about then its fine. but i wouldent ever have it on my mini, i was happy to have it on my nova becouse it dident matter it if gave up on me it dident cost me much.

Back
Top Bottom