CBT test tomorrow !!

Soldato
Hiya, managed to get a slot pretty quickly for my cbt test, theres usually a 3 week wait. :)

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for me please!

First time on the road so i'm a little nervous! :o

Thanks,
Mark

Soldato
OP
If anyone from the South West watches the local news, the place is called 'Wheels to Work' based in Holsworthy. It won the best charitable fund or something, the local news had a competition running.

He has said that most places take you out for the minimum time needed, but he said to me thats its his name on the certificate so he said he carrys on until hes confident that your safe. 10am till atleast 4pm he said :)

Soldato
Remember how to signal correctly at a roundabout and you will be fine, I remember my first time out on the open roads, I was as nervous as hell, soon settled down.

If you somehow manage to fail one of these "tests" can I personally laugh in your face? Seriously I think they are almost impossible to fail them.

Soldato
OP
lukechad said:
If you somehow manage to fail one of these "tests" can I personally laugh in your face?

:p sure if your willing to face the consequences :) j/k

apparently you dont get to go on the bike before you have done 3 hours of theory type work? hopefully that will build my confidence up :)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
When I took my CBT 4 years ago, I was told it was impossible to fail. If you didn't meet the required standard, they'd keep training you until you did.

Seriously though, couple of hours of basic highway code stuff, an hour riding through cones and an hour on the road. Piece of cake.

Soldato
When I done mine I wasn't told that I was going for my CBT :eek: My instructor just took me out one night and I thought we were just going for a little ride. When I came back to the center he gave me the certificate and I looked at him as if to say 'What's this all about?" When he told me it was my CBT I burst out laughing. :D It's basically just common sense and for the intructor to see that you can at least ride a bike at the very basic stage. Trust us all here ....... YOU WILL PASS :D :D

Soldato
Lopéz said:
The CBT isn't a test - it's Compulsory Basic Training

I did mine on a Honda CG125 that was a pig to kickstart when it was warm. I quite enjoyed my CBT.

True, but the instructor can pass/fail you ie make you do it again if he/she feels you havent attained the required level of proficiency

:D

Soldato
MarkLP said:
If anyone from the South West watches the local news, the place is called 'Wheels to Work' based in Holsworthy. It won the best charitable fund or something, the local news had a competition running.

He has said that most places take you out for the minimum time needed, but he said to me thats its his name on the certificate so he said he carrys on until hes confident that your safe. 10am till atleast 4pm he said :)

Thats 6 hours then?

Most of the places up this neck of the woods run for around 8 hours instruction on a CBT ;)

You get the full morning doing theory and off road practical and then from 1 through till around 4.30 actually on the road, which still isnt enough for some, so again quite a few places are running train until you pass lessons, i.e you can go back again and finish the training if you dont quite manage it in the one day :)

You would be surprised at just how many people there are out there that dont get through the training first time, and rightly so, especially when half of them tend to be on mopeds and as soon as they leave the centre they have out everything they have just been taught out of the window simply because its not cool :)

Soldato
Dr Who said:
True, but the instructor can pass/fail you ie make you do it again if he/she feels you havent attained the required level of proficiency

:D

But it still isn't a test though. If the instructor doesn't feel as if you are proficient enough what's the worst that can happen? You do a couple more lessons that's all :D The CBT isn't anything to get worked up about. It's plain, simple and very easy to do. :D

MarkLP don't stress out about it buddy. After you have come back from doing it you'll think ... Was that it :eek: :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
No the worst that can happen is that the examiner/instructor can actually refuse to give you the ticket, the right to attend and participate is down to your wallet, whether or not you are riding on your own after that is down to him ;)

The CBT is a test, yes its training but at the end you still have to satisfy the instructor that you have a basic understanding of how to ride and the basics of road safety, (so being picky its an assessment).

Associate
I did mine just before christmas, christmas eve actually, we had about an hour of chatting about helmets, clothing, bike controls, legal requirements and what not, we all had to put the bikes on and of the stand a few times then rode round some cones for an hour.

After that we set of on the road one lad came of his bike at a roundabout another came of doing the emergence stop and another ran a red light and they all passed.

Its just common sense is all you need if you can listen to instructions then your fine, i really enjoyed it.

I was really nervous but after five minits of meeting the instructer and other people doing it i was fine, dont worry and have fun.

Soldato
I done mine on the 9th of this month, first time ive ridden a bike with gears for many many years and first time on the roads. It was pretty easy, the weather wasnt ideal, light snow showers at one point, so it was freezing.

What struck me most was, I was riding an SR125 and a lady who was also doing the CBT was on a 50cc scooter. Ive been driving for almost 4 years now and have covered well over 100,000miles (i think i average 40k a year), she was 33 and had never had a car or bike in her life. She could hardly handle the 50cc scooter, didnt have a clue about road rules and on the final 2 hour drive (during rush hour) it was quite scary watching her.
She has already bought a 100cc scooter, I know its not going to be quick, but I find it worrying she can now ride on the roads with almost no road knowledge. The few hours of classroom time during the CBT was an introduction but IMO no where near enough to prepare someone for the roads.
The instructor even admitted most people that get through the CBT, dont have a clue how to use the road.

Man of Honour
When I did my CBT it was just me and the instructor, we started in the morning at about 10 in the school car park and I was done by about 1 or 2 in the afternoon I think? Seems they take a lot longer over it these days.

Soldato
Mine was appauling, a few hours around cones and 30mins on the road then I was told I could be unleashed on the road on my new RS125. I didnt feel safe at all.

When my girlfriend did it about 18months ago it was much better, she had never ridden or drove a car before so had little road experience for the price she paid she had a full 6-7hour day, then 3 hours the next weekend and 2 hours the following day, she had to get her lifesavers etc all in before they would pass her, some people would had just passed her the first day because theres no actual requirement to get them upto a certain standard.

Soldato
There is believe it or not an acceptable standard however its left to the instructor unfortunately.

Once you factor into the equation the fact that the instructor needs you to pass as soon as possible so he/she can move onto the next pupil (lets face it, if they have to take you through it for another day, its another £100 they are losing that they could have been taking from someone else ;) ).

I remember when i did mine (bearing in mind i could ride, but never found the time to go and sit the test to make it legal) i was paired up with some young lad who was celebrating his 16th birthday, his parents had his Gilera DNA scooter delivered to the centre knowing full well he would be riding it later and so it began :D

By 10am we have both sat a basic highway code test to satisfy the instructor, the young lad failed, but the instructor was 50/50 on whether or not to send him home and have the moped collected, stupidly i said that i would coach him over the lunch hour.

The rest of the morning session went fine basic handling etc, emergency stops, no problems at all apart from the lad being a tad too quick to get on the throttle at the wrong time.

But hey ho, lunchtime and i then spent my hour teaching him the highway code that he obviously never bothered swatting up on as a first time road user.

He passed and so on to the road we went.

He was a nightmare, left was right, right was left, too fast, too close to cars.

But on the final 20 minute ride the instructor begrudgingly passed him.

So we get back to the centre where its being run from and its just touching 5pm, and i ask's the young lad casually if he was looking forward to getting out on the road to which of course he replies yes, i then ask where he lives, and to my horror its 20 miles away and the only way to get there is down the A13 which is now in rush hour.

If that isnt scary enough as soon as he gets his certificate he is off like a shot and out of the gates of the centre, no checks nothing, everything gone out of the window.

I then pass him doing 30mph down a dual carriageway, hugging the hard shoulder white line, begging the cars that are all down 70 to knock him off the road.

It made me feel sick, not sure why i should have even cared about it to be honest, but the standard is very low, and i still feel that for a 16 year old 6-7 hours training is nowhere near enough, espcecially when you have to take a full test to ride a bike that has a small amount of power more, but you still ride it the same way.

At least with someone who has had a few years to understand the dangers of road safety a little better, there is more of a chance that the training will sink in :(

Back
Top Bottom