"Knives for a pro..."

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Unfortuntely not as exciting as you think. I'm looking into getting a nice chef/cook's knife and I know there's a few people on here that have them. Those that do, what makes/models should I be looking out for considering I mainly chop vegetables and small meat portions for dishes such as stir fry and curries? My budget is probably around £50 but I can stretch further if the quality/style etc. is more attractive. I've tried doing a bit of a search on the subject but it's about as useful as if I was after a new car and Googled 'hatchbacks'.

Any advice on the matter would be top drawer. :)

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
Victorinox tbh, one of the best, if not the best.

totaly agree.. I have been a butcher for 14 years and I have used Vic knives every day at work and I have to say they are the best knives you can get.. I have tried some others but not a patch on Vic...

The 12" Steak knives we use cost around £25-£30 each..
Some idea for Vic knives here

Soldato
Can't give you any advice on the high end ones like the globals and shuns but i've got a few Sanelli knives and they're great, the handles feel good and they are very sharp. I think my chef's knife cost around £25.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Apparently the top-of-the-range Sabatier knives are quite good.

Unfortunately I bought a bottom-of-the-range set and was disappointed :( - good sharp knives and comfy grips but tended to have rust spots (poor quality stainless steel) - I can only assume the dearer ones are made from better steel.

Stan :)

Soldato
If you are thinking of investing in some quality knives then please buy yourself a good stone and a high quality steel..

the stone MUST have two sides.. One rough to take off the edge of the knife and give it some shape... The other side is smooth. this gives it a nice soft finish and sharper edge.. After you use the stone you have to use the steel to finalise the sharpening process.. after you do that wash the knife in very hot water with clean cloth to get rid of the remaining metal dust.. (most steels are magnetic and collect most of the dust as you steel it..) then wipe dry..

Now be carfull. if you sharpen the knife well enough you could do yourself a nasty accident.. I should know ..

Soldato
Phnom_Penh said:
Meh, get a proper knife grinder.

Crap tbh....

by hand is the best way..

to keep a knife sharp you have to steel it everytime you use it.. Every personhas a different angle of steeling. This angle is automaticaly used when you use the stone too, so this way you have a consistant edge on the blade..

Using a grinder has disavantages such as.
the angle it sharpens at can be altered but will never be the same angle you steel at therefore if you sharpen and steel at the same angle you have a perfect edge but if you grind then steel you will have a rounded edge and a blunt knife becaue of the two totaly different angles of sharpening...

Soldato
I have a sharpenset whetstone with a blade jig. Its a proper sharpener and cannot be argued with.

stonesharpenset3bs.jpg

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Some good info here, and most of the recommended knives are cheaper than I was expecting which is always a bonus. I also hadn't considered a stone/steel so hopefully I can get the lot for my budget. Keep the recommendations coming though, I at least have a few makes to take a look at now. Victorinox seems to be quite a favourite though.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
If you can hold the knife and feel the quality of the steel the blade is made of it helps too. Sabatier is a quality standard more than a brand so you know you are getting at least x quality steel. The mistake a lot of people make is they buy a knife that doesn't suit them.

Some people prefer a resin rivetted handle, some prefer a plastic handle etc etc.

Soldato
Bigstan said:
Apparently the top-of-the-range Sabatier knives are quite good.

Unfortunately I bought a bottom-of-the-range set and was disappointed :( - good sharp knives and comfy grips but tended to have rust spots (poor quality stainless steel) - I can only assume the dearer ones are made from better steel.

Stan :)

Stan, the higher quality the carbon steel blade the more likely you are to get rust spots. They can't add chromium and allow the same level of temper to the blade so it's a trade off. I would recommend brasso/duraglit to get rid of the odd rust spot and hand wash only then dry straight away to keep the knives in good condition. High maintenance I know but the knives are good :)

Back
Top Bottom