• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unplayable BF2 Performance

Soldato
I have a 6800GT Golden Sample running at near ultra speeds 400/1100 which is gauranteed hence its called 'golden sample'

I am having serious performance issues in bf2. When i turn it completely lags out, and just walking in the Warlord Map on SF drops my frames to just 15.

My settings are medium at 1024x768 which should be easy for this card. I have tried both the latest driver and 78.03 as reccomended at the guru3d forums but it makes no difference.

Temperatures all round my system are absolutly fine, i dont understand the cause. I also have a good 480W Hiper PSU. Performance in other games like Quake 4 etc is fantastic.

What driver do you run with yout 6800 series card, how well does it run bf2.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
I found the best thing to improve BF2 performance was to increase my memory to 2gb, no more lagging during play, nice and smooth now... Maybe you should get another 1gb of ram and reap the rewards... ;)

Associate
It does sound like your card is running a bit slow, i had a 6600GT before my 7800GTX and it ran BF2 fine with 2gb of ram @ medium settings, so you should be able to play it fine if you get the extra ram...

Permabanned
Special forces 2 is a greedy bugger when it comes to ram, hehe :D i had an X800GTO2 on full settings with an OC but the disk accessing was horrible under 1 gig so i had to get more, that said, you should be able to run properly at those settings,

have you used driver cleaner or a driver removal program recently? or otherwise done anything to upset your motherboard platform drivers? try reinstalling them and see if it helps, should be a simple, download, install, reboot.

i had similar problems to yourself under my old 6800NU, when i redid the mobo drivers it fixed it.

just a thought for you :)

Associate
It's not to do with lack of ram, mine used to be fine for months however about a month ago i had the exact same problem - edited a few things to try and fix it so not 100% sure on what did it for me but as far as i remember i updated my drivers to the 81.40's & cleared everything in the BF2 video cache directory (C:\Documents and Settings\yourxplogonname\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2) and then it worked fine - however i did have the problem before that but it seemed to be fine the day after.

My setup is similiar to yourselfs albeit with another 512mb of ram & only a 128mb 6800 which gets me around 45fps on most maps bar Warlord but then thats notorious for lagging. Settings are as below;

bf2.png

Permabanned
have ou checked to make sure your not applying more AA than is set in the game? i.e. if you set 2X in game and 2 X manually from your nview control pannel your in for lag. also try turning off fast writes if its on, reinstall the mobo drivers like i suggested, try altering your quality settings in the nview pannel, have a good look at what settings youve got on in there...

Soldato
OP
I used drivercleaner when trying out all different driver versions. I dont think anything would have upset my motherboard drivers, but I will give it a go. I have nothing to lose anyway.

Has anyone heard of SuperTalent ram? Im considering getting some as it seems pretty cheap. Comes fitted with heatsinks and a lifetime warranty so I guess it should be fine in my system.

Quality settings in the nview panel are set to performance and everything is application controlled.

Associate
Legless said:
I found the best thing to improve BF2 performance was to increase my memory to 2gb, no more lagging during play, nice and smooth now... Maybe you should get another 1gb of ram and reap the rewards... ;)

i have found this speeds up loading and better ingame performance aswell :D

Permabanned
!n$oMniA said:
that card will be fine at that res for 4xaa 8xaf. Simply put the texture quality on medium

hes got it on medium already...

if you used driver cleaner then i would bet the house that thats whats doen it :) i had the same problem... are you running an Nforce board? also when you test the game, test in multiplayer not single player, SP mode never worked for me with a 6800 (as strange as that sounds...) it was laggy as hell, its still not great now, but multiplayer seems to be fine so im happy :)

Associate
I had this problem with my AGP 6600GT, 3500+ and 1GB DDR400 and had to resort to playing at 800x600 all on low lol.

But resolved the problem by updating the Nforce3 drivers for my motherboard and now it gets decent fps at 1024x768 all on medium. :)

Using 81.98 drivers btw.

Permabanned
drunknmunky said:
I had this problem with my AGP 6600GT, 3500+ and 1GB DDR400 and had to resort to playing at 800x600 all on low lol.

But resolved the problem by updating the Nforce3 drivers for my motherboard and now it gets decent fps at 1024x768 all on medium. :)

Using 81.98 drivers btw.

see... him too... lol :)

Soldato
OP
I have an Asus A8V Deluxe mobo so it has the Via chipset. Not the best in the world but its stable and i have had no other problems up until now.

I reinstalled my motherboard drivers and had a game on a different single player map. No problems there at all, fps as high as 90 falling no lower than 48 so that looks good. Warlord is still very laggy on SF. Even though its a small map I just guess its not made too well, all buildings etc. This was using the 77.77 drivers. Will there be any noticable improvements with newer drivers? I think these 77.77 perform a bit better in BF2.

Man of Honour
It has NOTHING to do with your 3d card. It's simply the access to pagefile that BF2 resorts to when it runs out of RAM. Your card is fine, just try decreasing pagefile on all drives apart from the one your games run off to 0. Fix the PF on your games drive to 1536 minimum and maximum. This SHOULD fix it, if only a little. If not, simply take some settings down to medium.

Associate
Zefan said:
It has NOTHING to do with your 3d card. It's simply the access to pagefile that BF2 resorts to when it runs out of RAM. Your card is fine, just try decreasing pagefile on all drives apart from the one your games run off to 0. Fix the PF on your games drive to 1536 minimum and maximum. This SHOULD fix it, if only a little. If not, simply take some settings down to medium.

That was the point i was getting at with regards to using 2gb of ram in BF2, it stops all the stuttering ingame as the levels no longer need to be cached off the harddrive... I'm sure this is the problem he's having as he only has 1gb of ram, and BF2 (and other new games) like to run smoothly with 2gb... :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Legless said:
That was the point i was getting at with regards to using 2gb of ram in BF2, it stops all the stuttering ingame as the levels no longer need to be cached off the harddrive... I'm sure this is the problem he's having as he only has 1gb of ram, and BF2 (and other new games) like to run smoothly with 2gb... :rolleyes:

Agreed, rolleyes at who?

Associate
My old XP2200 & Radeon 9800Pro both @ stock speeds would run BF2 no problem (obviously medium-low detail settings) 1Gb of ram OS: Win 2000.

the more Ram you offer Windows (especially XP) the more it takes just for the fun of it is seems..

Back
Top Bottom