• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unplayable BF2 Performance

Soldato
Hi - I havent read all the thread because its late and i'm tired, but im running a:
Barton 2500 + 3200
7** mb ram
Leadtek 6800gt @ 410/1130

Now i'm guessing someone will blame this on ram - well it's a factor but to get constantly low fps has nout to do with ram, as you can see my system has bugger all ram (only temporary waiting for new ram) but i still get high fps and judders from time to time when loading new things, so there is something else wrong apart from ram.

Associate
Legless said:
Roll eyes at the fact new games require 2gb of ram...

Well Windows XP alone needs 256mb minimum (512mb realistically)

Any game shouldnt req more than 1GB ram 2GB is overkill but improves loading speeds.

14 Hours uptime lol, and winblows hasnt bsod'ed or complained once.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nothing to do with loading speeds in this instance, its been well proven on sites thats both FEAR and BF2 can run a lot better with 2gig of ram, I had no issues maxing BF2 demo (didnt get full game dont like multi's), but FEAR took my 1gig of ram and 100% of my 1.5gig page file, it stuttered a bit so I got 2gig of ram (page file is 3gig)and problem was solved, it dont use the 2gig now so its fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Well these games must be exceptions, FEAR I can partly understand but BF2 other than its rather large maps/playable area the GFX arent that spectacular.

Tbh the game my old machine really seemed to stuggle with do to lack of ram and general speed was Boiling Point from Atari, I played it up until it made no sense and I was left wandering not knowing what to do, the drunk effects were a nice touch I thought.

Soldato
OP
Reinstalling my motherboard drivers does seem to have helped a lot.

Im not sure whether I will invest in upgrading my ram. Im actually leaning towards the idea of getting a console. Whenever a new game comes out it seems I have to upgrade some part of my pc so I can run it properly. At the end of the day its just a game. I would much rather pay £200 for a console that will be good for a couple of years, than pay out a few hundred every 6 months to keep my pc ready for the newer games.

Thanks for all you help anyway, it seems to be ok now after reinstalling motherboard drivers and I am now running the latest 81.98 drivers. :)

Permabanned
Well consoles are sold at lost (well MS did on XBOX to mess with Sony) to make cash on games, like £20-50 each ???, PC can cost from £600-£2000 today for a home built rig that can game from ok to best you get and games cost £20-35 ?

Seems after you buy 6-12 console games the cost has overshot the consoles cost lol.

Also PC can always be upgraded (within reason).

Soldato
Vegeta said:
Hi - I havent read all the thread because its late and i'm tired, but im running a:
Barton 2500 + 3200
7** mb ram
Leadtek 6800gt @ 410/1130

Now i'm guessing someone will blame this on ram - well it's a factor but to get constantly low fps has nout to do with ram, as you can see my system has bugger all ram (only temporary waiting for new ram) but i still get high fps and judders from time to time when loading new things, so there is something else wrong apart from ram.
You just described what happens when the game data is being accessed from the page file rather than directly from ram. Then in the same breath say its "a factor" but "has nout to do with ram".

Its probably possible to play if you used windows 2000 and read some system optimisation guides.

I used to play with 1Gb with a moderately tweaked windows XP and the difference between that and 1.25Gb was very noticable. Now got 2Gb. Now more first round lag and I am usually one of the first to start a new map.

Soldato
Humey said:
Well consoles are sold at lost (well MS did on XBOX to mess with Sony) to make cash on games, like £20-50 each ???, PC can cost from £600-£2000 today for a home built rig that can game from ok to best you get and games cost £20-35 ?

Seems after you buy 6-12 console games the cost has overshot the consoles cost lol.

Also PC can always be upgraded (within reason).
Consoles play only games (afaik), so you would need more games to keep your attention. Gone a bit off-topic? :o

Soldato
The way he's describing it - at 15fps constantly is not due to ram = what i meant, but the way it runs on my pc is that its fine until a new sound starts then it judders for a millisecond - thats different to what hes experiencing of 15 constant fps.

Soldato
I've got a A643000, a GIG of RAM and a XFX 6800GT @ stock and I don't really have any issues playing BF2. When I bought the game I was worried about only having a GIG of RAM would affect performance, and I even ordered a second gig stick (which is sitting on my desk still), but the game has played fine.

I run at 1024x768, with high settings, 2xAA and I think shadows are on low (not 100%), somethings on low anyway. My drivers are 81.85's.

I do get some judering when starting a map but after a few seconds it settles down and seems nice and smooth. Not tested the framerate thingy utility in the game though. I also predominately play 64/42 player maps as well.

Soldato
OP
Yea ive been playing BF2 since it first came out on my 9700 Pro and that was playable. Everything seems good now though. I think I will buy a 2gb kit as all newer games are going to benfit from it now.

With what you have said I should have no problem at all in high @ 1024x768 but my system was struggling with medium. Im going to buy a 2gb kit of this mushkin stuff and then overclock my cpu a bit as well.

Back
Top Bottom