Favourite Roads...

Associate
I've given it a good search and I can't find another similar thread (waits for someone to find one in .3 of a second), so here it is: The Favourite Road Thread.

Having only recently started driving, I haven't really developed any favour towards a particular road, but I'd like that to change.

If everyone posts the location of their favourite road, the name and perhaps a description of it/why it's their favourite, we can all try out a few of the ones local to us.

If anyone wants to start with some in the North East, I'll be most pleased ;)

To clarify - I'm looking for exciting roads that are genuinely fun to drive on - nice scenery, no speed cameras, a few twists and turns etc. Not section 567 of the M1... :p

Soldato
A69 Newcastle - Carlisle, just a great road to drive.

A31 Guildford - Winchester, drive it quite often and it's better than the M3

M6 Toll, just fun.

Used to enjoy the A697/A68 Morpeth to Edinburgh, too many speed cameras now.

Last edited:
Soldato
One road quite near to you is the A686 which stretches from Penrith to Hexham. It has some beautiful scenery and the road is full of twists and hills. I believe the road must have been resurfaced in the last few years as its in great condition.

My own favourite road is the A640 between Huddersfield and Denshaw. It's only a couple of miles from my house and its a great drive over the moors.

Associate
Morba said:
no idea what the road is, but from merthyr to swansea along the back roads taking in some of breacon, excellent roads and some great scenery

Just up the road from me, did that road on the FFOC Brecon Ball run. :)

Lots of other great roads round here too.

Associate
Same as on here. :)

It was a great day, I headed over to the Bristol meet after the SW meet too, nice lass with huge tats. :D

I guess your username is the same... the guy with the baby as his avatar?

Don't suppose you know Llwcoed bends? 80mph baby, right on the limit. ;)

Cheers.

Soldato
A914, A919, A91 Dundee -> St.Andrews - Warm Summers nights, tons of grip no traffic and 15 miles to get home: Tay Bridge, Dual Carriageway, A91 - pure fun :)

A92 Glenrothes -> Dundee - This road actually runs nearly the whole way to the Forth Road Bridge but that's the boring bit :p Dual Carriageway just out of Glenrothes, a few islands, some long straights and plenty of fast corners.

A811 - Going from Stirling out towards Glasgow. Initially a dragstrip: Long, flat and wide plenty of scope for getting up some good speed. Towards the end it gets twisty and undulates a fair bit which is good fun.

A915, B9131 St.Andrews -> St.Andrews - Great fun in the summer on the way out of work. Leave the carpark and head out up the hill along the main road. After a few fun corners and ups/downs there is a narrowish straight road that becomes very twisty that leads to the B9131 which has some nice straights, and great views over the bay and drops back into St.Andrews.

Variations of the above route allow for use of unmarked B roads which cut through farmers fields and are very fun to drive.

I'll stop there before I waffle too much though :p

Soldato
South Manchester area :
A537 - Macc to Buxton. Twisty, fun and hilly with a pub at the summit for good measure. Watch out for the nutter bikers.
A57 Snake Pass - Great when there's no traffic.
Ashley Road/Castle Mill lane (near Tatton) - my local quick blat. Good mix of corners and surfaces. Hardly any traffic.

West Scotland :
A82 up the side of Loch Lomond. Fast with flowing curves and good overtaking.
A827 Killin to Ballinluig. Clear road, fast and just plain fun.

Associate
A7 - Edinburgh to Carlisle. Fulfills all the OP's criteria, and then some. A stunningly good piece of tarmac, and a quiet one as well.

A592 - Kirkstone Pass, Penrith to Windermere. Needs to be early in the morning to dodge the OAPs/Caravanners, but is such a rewarding road if you get it right.

Soldato
i am very lucky living in this part of essex (thorpe bay, southend).

i am a few miles from the town centre, right next to the train line and only about a mile from some of the best roads i know.

miles of good safe b roads to play with and that i know like the back of my hand. the dual carriageways near here too are a lot of fun. makes me happy to live here (trust me, there are many negitive reasons!)

Associate
East Sussex- Road between Eastbourne and Ninfield (via Hooe) - ace back road that I know like the back of my hand. Plenty of overtaking spots and alternate routes if/when you get stuck behind something slow. Love it.
Plenty of other roads similar nearby too.

M40 or M6 Toll as the best motorway.

Back
Top Bottom