G.skill HZ Woes

Associate
Well today i received my Second! set of faulty HZ sticks. Errors in memtest within 5 mins. I suppose they were better than my last set they failed within a minute.Bare in mind this is at stock.

Will send a web note off soon.

I dont know if i can really ask this but am i stuck with HZ now or can i spend a little more around £80 and get some of these.
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Platinum Series EB-DDR CAS3 (OCZ5002048EBPE-K) (MY-058-OC)

I now do not trust G.skill and would not like to spend money on their products.As they could start failing X no. of months down the line. I know this could happen with any manufacturers product.But i have not had any problems with my 2GB Geil Value which were running and soon will be again after this post @2.5-3-3-6 at 240HTT

Justin

Associate
I have a Similar problem, i cant get them to pass more than about forty mins on memtest+. I have updated my BIOS and have looked over at what the G.Skill technician says over at XS and have changed all the timings to as he recommends, or SLOWER and still no go :mad: Im going to send a webnote or get a direct RMA, the reason i chose GSkill in the 1st place was because i thought they would work 1st time.

P.S. Whats there RMA service like? am i going to be waiting for weeks? shall i do it via OcUK or G.Skill direct??

Soldato
Interesting, I may need to run memtest on my HZ. Currently at 240FSB 3-4-4-8 1T on an MSI neo-4F with opteron [email protected] - 289HTT. Dual prime stable for 14hours before I turned it off.
Bought it last weekend direct from the store

What system / settings are you guys using ?

Permabanned
decto said:
Interesting, I may need to run memtest on my HZ. Currently at 240FSB 3-4-4-8 1T on an MSI neo-4F with opteron [email protected] - 289HTT. Dual prime stable for 14hours before I turned it off.
Bought it last weekend direct from the store

What system / settings are you guys using ?

Im allso running mine at 3-4-4-8 and thay have stayed stable all day .

I would like to ramp them up a bit but i would need help .

My first set of HZ got RMAed but the ones i got now seem ok at stock settings .

Associate
OP
Im Running asus a6n premium, 4400+ @ 2.4 with geil 2.5-3-3-6 (333divider) 240HTT

I went through ocuk and took 4 days,1. Day of posting,2. Delivered to ocuk,item 3. dispatched, 4. recieved.

I thought Gskill were reputable, Guess not now.

Justin

Soldato
Justin,

If you're using the 333 divider @ 240HTT then the Geil is @ 200Mhz or standard DDR400 speed therefore the timings are not unusual. Are these the same settings your tried the Gskill with ?

I've read the HZ perform worse with higher voltages than 2.5-2.6 which normally improves other memory and that even at stock DDR400 speed the timings can't be brought much below 3-4-4-8. The SPD data is 3-5-5-10 @ 250Mhz and they do't contain a fall back set of SPD data for lower speed settings.

I did have mine running at 1:1 with 267 HTT 3-4-4-8 1T however my opteron only has a x9 multi so I was only at 2.4Ghz.

Sorry to hear you've had such issues, Perhaps OCUK have a bad batch. Anyone else have issues ?

AD

Associate
OP
decto said:
Justin,

If you're using the 333 divider @ 240HTT then the Geil is @ 200Mhz or standard DDR400 speed therefore the timings are not unusual. Are these the same settings your tried the Gskill with ?

I've read the HZ perform worse with higher voltages than 2.5-2.6 which normally improves other memory and that even at stock DDR400 speed the timings can't be brought much below 3-4-4-8. The SPD data is 3-5-5-10 @ 250Mhz and they do't contain a fall back set of SPD data for lower speed settings.

I have tried a few ways to run them. 3-4-4-8 @ 2.6v 250HTT 9xmulti .Also the last set failed 3-4-4-8 @ 2.6 240 HTT 10xmult. TYhe following have been @ DDR 400

I have not tried the settings rthe same as my geil. As they are completely different.

Justin

Associate
decto said:
Sorry to hear you've had such issues, Perhaps OCUK have a bad batch. Anyone else have issues ?

AD

Well i had issues at first and really thought they were a faulty set.

Now they are rock solid at 3-4-3-8 265mhz 2.54v. Ive played all day with them and
i know for a fact they fail if they get too hot. So 120mm fan does the trick.

Associate
JustinB said:
They are rated at 2.6 though, also i have 2 120mm case fans@ 1200rpm my mobo wont do less than 2.6 aswell

Mate ive tested all night withiut eh Fan they crash then restart.

Also under CPU-Z Spd they report 3-5-5-10 250Mhz any one else get this instead of 3-4-4-9

Soldato
I had a similar problem, one of the sticks clocked to 260MHz+ on its own but the other didn't even do 250. I RMA'd them and got the Mushkin HP, not a problem since.

I was told the HZ was a faulty batch but I reckon its simply the Samsung UCCC modules, they are native DDR400 IC's and simply just not capable of 250MHz, IMO anyway.

FWIW you can't exchange the RAM for more expensive RAM and pay the difference, actually you can't swap it for cheaper RAM and have the difference refunded. The only option you have is it have a refund or a simple swap for the same RAM.

Like I said, I went with the refund and ordered the Mushkin, no more UCCC:) Its Infineon BE-5, currently running at 220 @ 2-3-2-5 and it doesn't seem to dislike high voltages, I've tried it at 3v with no probs. I realise this isn't the best choice of RAM if you require 250MHz but with Athlon64's it seems to be about CPU speed so running a 333 divider seems to be the sweet spot.

Associate
Carter said:
Apparently this is normal, mine does the same, I asked about it on DFI street.

I confirm this. G.Skill Technician said they do this on purpose when I asked him on another forum, nothing to worry about.

I got mine rock solid in prime and memtest86 @ 3-4-4-8 @ 2.6V 260mhz 1:1

try to mess with the timings a bit in the bios, and bear in mind this is UCCC so higher voltage won't get you anywhere, some people had best results @ 2.5V.

there is already a thread for the HZ kit, and if you do a little of research on google you can find useful info about this ram.

Back
Top Bottom