Just bought an Audi A4...

Associate
Yesterday I went out and found myself a nice economical replacement for my Focus - An Audi A4 1.9 TDi (110) on a 1998 S plate :) It is in perfect condition bar the usual stone chips you would expect with a car of that age! Has anyone had one of these cars? What should I expect to go wrong? (It has done 107,000 miles) Also I searched Google for any Audi owner's clubs and couldnt find any in the UK, does anyone know of one? And lastly the gator on the handbrake has a little slit in it and I want to replace it, where would I find one of these? (Tried to phone Audi they were no help and cant find any on the popular auction site!)

Thanks,

Craig :)

Last edited:
Soldato
good choice m8 i've a 1997'p A4 avant tdi(110), had it five years now, has cost me sod all to keep going - and has sailed through all it's mot's.
AUDI'S RULE !!
:D :p :D :p :D

as for things to look out for, lower front swing arm tends to wear, as they put the ball joint the otherway round, so the lube runs out of them / thus wear

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Edited for what I actually meant :) I took a mechanic with me (brothers friend) to see the car and its in tip top shape at the moment, just want to know what is likely to go wrong!

Craig

Associate
Cr4iG said:
Yesterday I went out and found myself a nice economical replacement for my Focus - An Audi A4 1.9 TDi (110) on a 1998 S plate :) It is in perfect condition bar the usual stone chips you would expect with a car of that age! Has anyone had one of these cars? What should I expect to go wrong? (It has done 107,000 miles) Also I searched Google for any Audi owner's clubs and couldnt find any in the UK, does anyone know of one? And lastly the gator on the handbrake has a little slit in it and I want to replace it, where would I find one of these? (Tried to phone Audi they were no help and cant find any on the popular auction site!)

Thanks,

Craig :)

Audi's are well built motors. Often referred unkindly as 'Poor Man's BMW' something I don't agree with.
Try Audi Forum

You make get some tips there. :)

Soldato
Dead Dog said:
good choice m8 i've a 1997'p A4 avant tdi(110), had it five years now, has cost me sod all to keep going - and has sailed through all it's mot's.
AUDI'S RULE !!
Unlike your use of apostrophes ;) :D

Soldato
Fallen Hero said:
Audi's are well built motors. Often referred unkindly as 'Poor Man's BMW' something I don't agree with.
Err, never once referred to as such in my experience.

Quite how it can be perceived as a poor man's BMW when they cost pretty much the same, have similar, if not superior, build quality and the interiors put BMW to shame is totally beyond me.

The only people who'd potentially refer to an Audi as such are sad uninformed BMW fanboys tbh.

Soldato
freds tdiclub is a goodun too.

congrats on the motor.

the only probs that really come to my mind is the n75 issue caused by the oil breather and the EGR valve .... but if yours is running fine, dont worry, there are loads of little issues that can go wrong, you may want to look them up but its a load of hassle

Soldato
-Mic- said:
Kind of like your use of full stops? :p
Not really, no.

I simply forgot to place a full stop at the end of my sentence, primarily due to placing the smilies there, whereas Dead Dog obviously didn't have a clue where and where not to place apostrophes, a basic literacy problem which appears to afflict a huge percentage of this forum.

I've learned to bite my lip on here most of the time but as Dead Dog managed to insert superfluous apostrophes in three consecutive words, the last of which was also in huge text, I couldn't resist having a light-hearted dig :)

Soldato
107k miles wow, dunno what could go wrong but Audis are well built cars.

That poor mans BMW comment:

Perhaps before Audi could be referred to as that but no way can that statement be used now. The quality and design of their cars are amazing, they are using top materials in their cars and I suppose thats reflected in the price, which imo isnt a huge price for what you get.

Id like to see someone call a guy in an RS4 a poor mans BMW :p lol

Associate
OP
I didnt expect this many replys, thanks everyone :) I am checking out the websites that you posted now, and to zain - 107k isnt that many miles to be honest, one of the guys at work has an Audi 80 with 230k on the clock - I would imagine most decent and modern-ish cars would run to 200k easily if they were serviced at the proper times and looked after!

Craig

Permabanned
There is a very good chance your Air mass sensor will be on its way out, but they only cost £90. If it feels a little gutless and/or has flatspots its faulty. The MAF is probably the only thing that goes wrong with the TDIs...

Back
Top Bottom