• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP! Need A New Gfx Card

Soldato
Hi folks, due to my 6600 dieing earlier than expected i am now gfx card less. I am looking to spend really up to £200 as a max, as i will be looking at upgrading to the new nvidia cards probably around the summer time.

Now i want a card that will allow me to play the most recent games, bf2, fear, farcry hl2 etc on max settings if possible or as close to as i can get.

What would you guys recommend me? I have a couple of ideas that are floating around my head:
1) i can either go all balls out and go for a x1900-xt-x while they are still at a decent price and hope that these keep up with the G71 cards
2) buy something like the new Gainward Bliss 6800GS GLH and upgrade to the 7900 around summer once they have had a price drop

on a side note, i will be purchasing my card on the 28th as this is payday :D

Associate
does that include vat

If not i would go for the HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X1800 XL 256MB GDDR3 for £179 or if you prefer nvidia then go for the OcUK (aka point of view) GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 for the same price .
Both cards perform about the same but the ati has better image quality and has more room for overclocking also the fps take less of a hit when you enable antialiasing and anistropic filtering, i personally would go for the ati but its your choice

p.s i would buy a good cheap card now that will last you then ugrade at the end of the year or even later than that maybe wait for dx10 cards to come out. I think thats when i will be upgrading as there aint that many titles being released for the pc this year well no good ones anyway (thanks XBox 360)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
you think the x1800256 and 7800gt will out perform the 6800 512mb bliss card with it's uber fast clocks? also i could pick up a 6800 ultra for £150 would the ati or 7800 still be the better choice?

Associate
7800/x1800xl would be the better choice for the games you stated you want to play but the 6800 ultra is a very good card and will play them games just not at as high detail

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom