British TV vs American TV

Soldato
I get the feeling that British TV is seriously going down the toilet. I mean its truly awfull. When I watch TV I am drawn more to the American progs on E4 for entertainment. TV Viewing on a regular basis for the last 12 months

* Sopranos
* Las Vegas
* Lost
* Desperate Houswives
* Invasion
* Smallville & Stargate (Occasionaly)

British TV is just paltry in comparison. Even the best programmes are repeats of old comedys such as Fawlty Towers or Only Fools n Horses. Granted the Beeb has some good dramas such as Life on Mars and Dr. Who

What do we have today, Reality TV, Pap Idol, Fat Academy, Im a B Grade celebrity get me a career (See C4 or ITV as the protagonists) Emmerdale, Coronation Street and East bloomin Enders with wannabee Gangsters and a good ol sing song round the old Joanna.

Discuss

Last edited:
Associate
is Las Vegas still being shown on british television? it was on sky one but haven't seen it about since the last season ended on sky1.

Soldato
I'd agree with your point with regards to American programming, however actually attempting to watch any TV whilst in America is like pulling teeth. 5 minutes of the show, start credits, ads, 5 minutes of the show, ads, etc.. its unbearable.

Man of Honour
I am sick to death of the celebrity shows we get, utter pap :( No sooner did the Soapy Superstar singathon series finish, the next flipping week that Icy Celebrity thing started :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to a new series of Hustle soon, also Three Pints Of Lager.. other than that I find myself watching the Discovery channels or the UKTV Gold/History/Documentary stuff - Coast was a wicked series :)

Soldato
I imagine there are loads of celebrity shows in america aswell they just dont get aired over here. Along with all the other crap that always seems to be on when you switch on the tv in america.

Just only the good things will get televised over here

Don
Marvt74 said:
Just only the good things will get televised over here

Having just got back from the US I can agree with that, we just cherry pick the good stuff from them, knowing for sure that it'll be a big hit.

But certainly in the past few years the big shows on UK tele are more and more US ones.

Jokester

Soldato
You could add Shameless to that too. The big problem over here is all the reality tv pap that's being shovelled down our necks because it's cheaper to make than dramas or comedies. So if Everybody starts boycotting programmes like 'Strictly Celebrity Soap Love Farm On Ice' then we might see a turnaround. In other words, hide the remote from your woman!

Soldato
American programs are good but their actual television is absolute crap of you watch it over there, adverts every 5 minutes, a program will start, the main titles will play and then it'll go to an advert, its like ffs its been 30 seconds since the last advert :mad:

British comedy however is better than American comedy, although the animated shows like Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, South Park all own

Permabanned
the thing is we only get shows that are "popular" or have higher rating, i bet if you lived in US, you would also get/notice bad programmes...

regarding the breaks in US, whys isnt there an ITC or whatever it is that govern UK channels.... ? there should be one.

Associate
elroberto said:
So if Everybody starts boycotting programmes like 'Strictly Celebrity Soap Love Farm On Ice' then we might see a turnaround. In other words, hide the remote from your woman!
Concerning audience figures, these are the guys who assess them for the main terrestrial channels and are actually owned by the beeb:

http://www.cultsock.ndirect.co.uk/MUHome/cshtml/media/barbdet.html

The panel consists of 4,435 homes.
Hmmm... the above represent the 24+ million homes in the UK :confused:

Associate
i watch a lot of tv shows and most of them are american, guess they have more variety and bigger budget.
some uk shows i like...

Spooks
Hustle
Extras
life on mars

Back
Top Bottom