Shadow of the Collossus

Soldato
I received the game this morning at 9:00a.m. and have been playing it up until approximately 2 hours ago and in that time I have managed to slay 7 collossi and am currently on my 8th.I am breezing through this game and have only died once (the collossus I am currently on).

I sincerely hope that there is more content to this game than merely slaying the 10 collossi that there are in the game. I think it would have been much better if the game developers had actually added a half decent storyline to the game and added something in between each collossus battle other than the actual journey to the collossus. I hope that there is something to do after you slay the last collossus otherwise I would be tempted to send the game back to the supplier as it is well within the return policy deadline.

Apart from that the game is unbelievably good and I am loving it :p . But this has to be the shortest game that I have ever played (even shorter than Fahrenheit, which I didn't think was possible). It has taken me hardly any time at all to get to the stage I am at and I only have 3 collossi to go! :eek:

I love all the collossi battles and think that the best one in the whole game (that I have seen so far) has to be the eagle collossus. I'm at uni at the minute so I can't play the game obviously but when I get back to my flat I think I will have completed the game within 2 hours (or possible even less).

What are your views on the length of this game?

Thanks

Whappers

Associate
I've finished it.

I'm a little biased though as any game with a eastern feel and classical music hooks me in.

This game was great, to me getting the collisi was the best bit, it really felt free roaming and loved the scenary.

I can understand how some people wouldnt be that into this game, as like i said its not full on devil may cry action all the way through, for the most part there isnt all that much action.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the second half more, i did, have you fought the sky dragon? ( i forgot the name) that was one of my favourites, looked amazing.

Soldato
OP
Tommer said:
I've finished it.

I just finished it this morning. :p

Tommer said:
I'm a little biased though as any game with a eastern feel and classical music hooks me in.

I thought that the game was excellent. I'm not usually into eastern styles games apart from the odd one or two.

Tommer said:
This game was great, to me getting the collisi was the best bit, it really felt free roaming and loved the scenary.

Yeah, you really get a feeling of accomplishment when you slay one. I loved the fact that it was a huge landscape and the fact that you could go almost anywhere. I actually got lost one time on the one to meet one of the collossi and ended up somewhere I doubt I'll probably ever find again. The game is that big!

Tommer said:
I can understand how some people wouldnt be that into this game, as like i said its not full on devil may cry action all the way through, for the most part there isnt all that much action.

Yeah, there are quite a few quiet moments throughout the game and I can see why most westerners would be turned off also.

Tommer said:
Anyway, hope you enjoy the second half more, i did, have you fought the sky dragon? ( i forgot the name) that was one of my favourites, looked amazing.

I loved that desert snake flying collossus. I thought he was joint best along with the eagle collossus. I just kind of felt let down by the final boss as I believe I could defeat him now in less than 20 mins. This may seem like a long time to most people but when you have played a few collossus then this seems like no time at all. I also cannot believe that he actually stood still throughout the whole battle. I half expected him to at least move somewhere. The thing that took me the most time was finding out how to slay the collossus, some of them took me less than a minute to figure out whereas some took me forever!

All in all I loved the game and doubt I will send it back. I have even started a new game on HARD mode and have already slayed the first collossus.

1.I didn't quite fully understand the ending scene so hopefully someone could explain it to me with a SOPILER warning or something. :confused:

2.I cannot find the time attack mode, where is it? :confused:

Thanks.

Whappers

Soldato
OP
Moonpie2 said:
The first flying one you see (5th ?) and the sand snake and giant tortoise were good for me.

Yeah, I think the eagle one was the 5th one. However I am not sure. The sand snake one was quite good also. The tortoise one was quite good and was the first collossus to actually give me a run for my money. I assume you're talking about the one that you have to use the active geysers with?

Moonpie2 said:
I hope you enjoy the last colossus more than I did :)

Sadly I felt a little let down by the final collossus for reasons which you can find in my post above.

Whappers

Soldato
Exactly.
Without saying too much and spoiling it.
The things that make taking down the colossusuususes fun have all been removed from the final boss.

It might have been a very different game had all of them been like that !!

Soldato
Whappers said:
1.I didn't quite fully understand the ending scene so hopefully someone could explain it to me with a SOPILER warning or something. :confused:

I thought the ending was quite crap :confused:

And the last boss really did irratate me, in the end i had to use a guide, got stuck at the part where he was grasping his hands.

Soldato
OP
DEL 707 said:
And the last boss really did irratate me, in the end i had to use a guide, got stuck at the part where he was grasping his hands.

lol. Me too. It took me forever to actually figure it out. :p In the end I just couldn't believe that i had overlooked it. I was trying to jump over the bangle for ages! :D

Soldato
OP
I don't actually think that I can play the normal time attack mode because I saved my HARD game over the NORMAL final battle save game. I sincerely hope I am wrong but I just can't believe it. I think that is a major design flaw. They should have had it appear as one of the options on the main menu. This now means that I won't be able to play the time attack mode :(

Soldato
nope, i played this game from start to finish. it is one of the few games where i immediately started again on the harder setting after finishing it and did all the extra content... its one of the best games ever made imo and certainly the best on the ps2 :D

Soldato

Been a while, but, basically the voice that told you to go kill the colossi was actually an evil deity who has had his 'essence' locked away within the colossi. The emperor who showed up right at the end was a descendant of the person that original split the deity into pieces and was journeying to stop the main character from reforming him.

When the main character killed each colossi, each part of the evil deities essence would be absorbed by the main character until he eventually became him. Fortunately the emperor was able to defeat him before he fully formed. His defeat then gave birth to the bloodline of horned children; one of those you play as in Ico.

The games storyline essentially explains the origin of the horned children you see in Ico.

Last edited:
Caporegime
MEGA thread revival of all time! :D Anyone got this in their collection and still yet to complete it?

I have this. I bought it when I got a PS3 and started to play it. Awesome game, sadly I think I got to the 7th or so Collosus (over a year ago now) before being distracted.

I think Gears of War 2 and heavenly Sword may have come along at that time and I have not had a chance to finish the game since. Will probably restart it at some point. I only own about 5 PS2 games, but there are so many good PS3 games out I never get a chance to go back to them.

I also have ICO sitting here, which I have never played.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom