Abit AL8 Users, help needed to set up for performance

Associate
Thanks for looking,

I have an AL8 new build.

Very happy with current set-up but wondered if I have the correct Bios settings for best performance

Currently have 1 WD Raptor on the Intel Sata 1, a WD 40Gb drive on IDE 1 and DVD RW on IDE 2.

I have set the Bios to

IDE bus master ENABLED
On-chip IDE-1 controller ENABLED
On-chip Sata mode IDE
On-chip Sata controller COMBINED MODE
Pata Ide mode IDE-2

Any help and advice appreciated

Soldato
The only performance boost you might get over what you currently have is to move your SATA drive to the second SATA controller near the processor socket, but the bottom line is that you're compromised by having to share the two IDE devices off the one ATA-133 port. I'm assuming that IDE 1 is the master channel for the HDD?

If you are going to try the second SATA controller then do install the drivers first, otherwise it won't recognise the drive.

Are you going to overclock at all?

Associate
OP
I ddn't answer the second part, yes to an OC, I've tentatively been up to 3.2 on a quick look for stability, not a huge need to go faster, otherwise I would probably have gone the AMD route.

Overall need stability and decent performance from components, and I don't mind if this is at stock speed.

Soldato
The Intel controller is split 6 ways between the 4 SATA channels and the 2 IDE channels. If you take the Raptor off that device then the Intel controller only has to worry about the 2 PATA drives and the SATA controller only has to worry about SATA. That's the only benefit.

Back
Top Bottom