mountain biking - bringewood downhill

Associate
it was round 2 of the winter downhill series today, and like last time, the weather was awfull. the course was muddy, slippery, covered in thick fog and so dark under the trees that the second run down the hill was cancelled. there was still some cracking racing though.

at the start of the day i tried shooting with a high iso and to try and expose the shot properly but it wasnt working. 1/15, F1.8, 3200ISO under the trees = nothing but blur. so i stuck it in manual mode and used the flash.

Associate
OP

i couldnt be bothered to resize them individualy, its been a long day, so i batch resized them in photoshop.

oh, no photoshopping apart from resize.

Soldato
Shots 1, 2, 3 and 11 look ok; tweak the levels, colour, clone distracting items and sharpen them up and it will improve them :)

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

undilutedethics said:
nice considering what you had to work with - what lens were u using? also hope you got no mud on it!! :eek:

Guessing this will be the 70-200 F/2.8. Lovely shots, really great detail especially in such bad conditions.

Associate
It was massively too dark today for some nice shooting. Saw a couple of people (I assume one was you :)) at the bottom of the course next to the final jump with decent cameras.

Was pretty bummed that they cancelled the second run since we only got there at the end of the first run (kinda got lost...4 hours driving each way for 15 mins of dh was a bit crap). Was uber muddy too! Haven't had time to process the 10 or so shots I got yey but without a flashgun, none of them came out particularly well - even at the section of the course with no trees - you did well to get some well-exposed shots.

Associate
OP
TomWilko said:
Guessing this will be the 70-200 F/2.8. Lovely shots, really great detail especially in such bad conditions.

actually they were all taken with a 24-85 USM. 70-200 would have been way too long for this sort of racing. 24mm was too long is some places (see 5,6 and 8). you can get right up to the track and just stick your head and camera under the tape.

i agree they need some adjustment in ps, just couldnt be bothered last night.

the first few shots can be a bit misleading, it wasnt actually that dark, just too dark to expose properly and use fill in flash. i quite like the effect though.

Soldato
TRiP said:
you can get right up to the track and just stick your head and camera under the tape.
Quite a few of the photographers who are at the trials I've been to get vantage points higher up off the trail and shoot downwards... dunno if its any use :\.

Back
Top Bottom