OcUK Gamers Case - Yellow (No PSU) (CA-009-OK) - any good?

Associate
Are there any reviews, recommendations etc for this case? It looks good value for money - but I've no idea if it's adequate. (I'm looking to buy an AMD SD 3700 and would probably do a mild overclock - nothing more - on air).

cheers G

Soldato
How much money do you have to spend on a case, as that is not a very good one, especially when you are coupling it with components such as a 3700!

Soldato
Gah, evena vento looks better than that. How about the:
Asus TA-250 Series Midi Tower (Black) - No PSU (CA-009-AS)
Thermaltake VC2000BNS Mambo SuperMidi Tower - Black (CA-026-TT)
Enermax CS-527 Case Black No PSU (CA-018-EN)
or the best budget case Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Silver Aluminium Midi-Tower Case (No PSU) (CA-038-LL).

Soldato
He has not said his budget yet Raikiri, but if we are listing.

I agree with all above, especially the PC7+ but would like to add.

Coolermaster Centurion 531

Soldato
Yewen said:
He has not said his budget yet Raikiri, but if we are listing.

I agree with all above, especially the PC7+ but would like to add.

Coolermaster Centurion 531

Yeah forgot about that one, the asus is only £2 more and the thermaltake is actually cheaper than the yellow thing.

Associate
OP
I take it then the OcUK one isn't much good. Budget is around the £50 mark so all the above suggestions are work considering thanks!

Soldato
try and stretch to £60 and buy one of the best cases sub £100. The Lian Li PC7+

Seriously a great case the Lian Li is, and the only case sub £100 that comes near is the Akasa Eclipse.

Soldato
Sorry guys & gals - but what experience do any of you have of that case?

I would hazard NONE?

It could be a really good case, but you're judging it because it's £30 and it's yellow. Maybe he wants a yellow case? Don't be so closed minded.

And it definitely is better than a Vento - it could not be built worse and it's £50 cheaper.

@galadial - If you like it - buy it. It's £30 and you'll probably be delighted with it. OcUk don't sell complete carp. Buy a really good PSU with the rest of your cash and when you get tired of yellow, you can keep the PSU and put it a more conservative case.

Soldato
WJA96 said:
I would hazard NONE?

Ive stated it before, I stay out of threads which I have no knowledge of the cases, I seem to remember seeing one of these in a big shop near me on display and it had the cheap gaming case look about it.

I will say its much better value than the Vento, the Bat case, and all the other £100 gaming cases which will be identical to this one.

Half the price of a PC7+, yeh fair does WJA96. I have never seen inside the case but it will be punching in the same league as a £22 ocuk value one, with a flashier front.

The words, im looking to buy a SD 3700, which be fair is high end gear in the terms of this sort of case, made me think he could do with going for a slightly more substantial and tried and tested option.

Have you tried that case personally, with a 3700+ or another high end chip with the usual acompanying spec, if not then without knowing about its cooling, ability to hold modular PSU's or large heatsinks, then he may run the risk of buying a turkey for his spec.

For the same money he could buy the new Thermaltake that OcUK has in, which is a case that will have had lots of reviews, and you can be sure it will do the job you want it for.

No experience on this case, just about none for me but I have seen it in another brands name, its your usual generic affair when for £2 more you could have a Thermaltake.

Soldato
I said even the vento looks better than that, I did not say it was better.

If you can find some specs on it, types of fans it has, build quality, space, airflow etc. then reccomend it and say what it is and isnt better than.
I suggested those cases as they are proven to be good.

Edit: Yewen, or for £3 less ;) The new mambo looks alright and has 2x120mm fans (1 supplied)

Soldato
Raikiri said:
I said even the vento looks better than that, I did not say it was better.

If you can find some specs on it, types of fans it has, build quality, space, airflow etc. then reccomend it and say what it is and isnt better than.
I suggested those cases as they are proven to be good.

Well said.

And I said the Thermaltake is £2 more, its £3 LESS and proven to do the job well.

Soldato
My original point stands good. We, as a forum, rounded on this poor person because they had the temerity to ask about a yellow case. Go on - recommend a high quality yellow case for under £50, which is the budget.

It's £30. The truth is that unless they have multiple hard disks or the biggest graphics cards in there the cooling will be perfectly adequate. If it's not then they can take it back, can't they?

A 3700 with the stock AMD cooler is going to run just fine even in a case without fans. That's what AMD's spec says it should do. Now if he had a P4 in there then I'd be looking for the side vent as that's what Intel's current spec demands.

Everyone, in my opinion, has the right to have something different. There was a guy before who wanted an Aspire case. It was carp. Most of us had seen it or one like it and we all tried to tell him. In the end I told him to buy it and learn from his own mistakes. The difference was that he was going to spend a lot of money on something we all had experience of. This is different. It's a cheap case, not pretending to be anything else, dressed up in yellow plastic to appeal to a youth market. You wouldn't buy it, I wouldn't buy it, it's not my taste - but I certainly wouldn't say I feel sorry for someone that did. Diversity of opinions and views is good, I think. Forcing people to conform to an acceptable norm is not.

Back
Top Bottom