The Regiment

Permabanned
I hated SWAT4, I got it and thought it was boring.

"Gas and bang" etc etc

New models for CSS promise a SAS model :)

The Regiment looks good from screenies but not very good on the reviews I couldn't seem to find a review for it :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
This game as been very quiet, not seen any advertisments or anything, I wouldnt know it existed if it wasnt for a link over on the ubi Raven shield forums.

When someone gets it give some feedback :)

Associate
I bought it yesterday, even though all my senses were telling me not to.

When a game is released without any publicity and before any reviews are published, it often means that they are trying to shift a few copies before anyone can spread word about how bad it is. I prayed that this was not the case with "The Regiment" as it sounded like such a good idea.

Here is my first impressions of the game -

Concept - Excellent, like SWAT 4 but full on. "When the SAS go in, all negotiations have ceased"

Gameplay - Due to a mixture of technical problems and difficult, almost fussy gameplay I didn't even manage to finish the Room clearing training missions. These training missions give you simple tasks to complete and then require you to do them in a ridiculously short amount of time, so you have to rush around like a lunatic. I know the SAS are supremely well trained, fit and tough but I doubt even they can enter, dominate and clear three rooms in thirteen seconds, having got 100% accuracy at hitting the numerous training targets along the way. Nope, the training missions are not great.

Anyway, after my twentieth failed attempt at the fourth training mission (And second sudden reboot), I though I would have a go at the first mission (You have to complete this before you can go on to the next one), The Iranian Embassy Siege. Went through the pre mission briefing, only for the thing to crash out to desktop before it started. Did this a few times, so I decided to try the multiplayer. I selected the internet option to be greeted with all of six servers available. Chose one and it started to connect, only then to dump out to desktop. Tried again, connecting to another server and this time I managed to join a co-op game. Brilliant, managed to play for two minutes (Killed a couple of terrorists) and was just starting to think that maybe I hadn't wasted my money after all, when my PC rebooted.

Summary - Good idea, but massively unstable, even with the patch that was available on day of release. From what I have managed to play between crashes and reboots, the training mssions seem to be pointlessly hard for all the wrong reasons. Can't comment on actual single player gameplay and didn't really get enough of a taste of multplayer to make a judgement.

Prognosis does not look good, shame about that.

Soldato
JudgeC said:
I bought it yesterday, even though all my senses were telling me not to.

When a game is released without any publicity and before any reviews are published, it often means that they are trying to shift a few copies before anyone can spread word about how bad it is. I prayed that this was not the case with "The Regiment" as it sounded like such a good idea.

Here is my first impressions of the game -

Concept - Excellent, like SWAT 4 but full on. "When the SAS go in, all negotiations have ceased"

Gameplay - Due to a mixture of technical problems and difficult, almost fussy gameplay I didn't even manage to finish the Room clearing training missions. These training missions give you simple tasks to complete and then require you to do them in a ridiculously short amount of time, so you have to rush around like a lunatic. I know the SAS are supremely well trained, fit and tough but I doubt even they can enter, dominate and clear three rooms in thirteen seconds, having got 100% accuracy at hitting the numerous training targets along the way. Nope, the training missions are not great.

Anyway, after my twentieth failed attempt at the fourth training mission (And second sudden reboot), I though I would have a go at the first mission (You have to complete this before you can go on to the next one), The Iranian Embassy Siege. Went through the pre mission briefing, only for the thing to crash out to desktop before it started. Did this a few times, so I decided to try the multiplayer. I selected the internet option to be greeted with all of six servers available. Chose one and it started to connect, only then to dump out to desktop. Tried again, connecting to another server and this time I managed to join a co-op game. Brilliant, managed to play for two minutes (Killed a couple of terrorists) and was just starting to think that maybe I hadn't wasted my money after all, when my PC rebooted.

Summary - Good idea, but massively unstable, even with the patch that was available on day of release. From what I have managed to play between crashes and reboots, the training mssions seem to be pointlessly hard for all the wrong reasons. Can't comment on actual single player gameplay and didn't really get enough of a taste of multplayer to make a judgement.

Prognosis does not look good, shame about that.

Probably could clear the rooms :p

Associate
The thing that annoys me about the training missions is that they go on too far. In the room clearance ones, all you do is open the door, go in to a predetermined spot, shoot a number of targets and declare the room clear. Why you have to do it for one room, then two rooms and then three rooms together is lost on me, I got the idea after the first mission. And why they demand you do it at such a breakneck pace is also lost on me.
I imagine in the game itself (if I ever manage to get the thing running long enough), with real enemies facing you, you are not going to be racing through the place like your going for the Olympic 100m gold medal.

Last edited:
Associate
First thoughts before clicking the link were 'a nice quick SAS wannabe game' great...

Looking at the screenshots however, it looks quite interesting and I will certainly be giving it a quick try out!

Associate
Mana said:
sounds like u are used to solitaire type games :)

play some quakeworld then give regiment again, it will seem slow then

Its not so much the speed, its the utter pointlessness that baffles me. The whole game is supposed to be a tactical simulation of the SAS, not Robotron 2084.
But its all academic as the game isn't stable on my PC. Tried the latest (6.2) Catalyst drivers and it still crashed to desktop when I try and run the Single Player game. When I run the training missions or multiplayer game, my system mysteriously reboots itself randomly, something it does not do with any other game.

Associate
KELTICKNIGHT said:
so the game is very unstable,is it only in multiplayer
what would u compare it to

Yes it does seem unstable on my system. My system seems to suffer occasional reboots when playing this game only. Also I get some sort of crash to desktop when trying to load single player campaign.
It mentions something about the screen resolution when it crashes out and I wonder if this is because I am running at 1440x900, although the game seems to support this res in the options and it plays the training and Multiplayer ok.
I might take the overclock off of my X800 and set the res to something else to see if this helps.

I would compare the game to Swat 4, although maybe faster paced. Unfortunately I haven't seen enough of it yet to make any deeper comparisons, but it looks to have the potential to be good.

Back
Top Bottom