Multiple IPs

Associate
Just put in my order for moving over to Zen from f2s. And me being me I chose the multiple IPs option because I would like to fiddle around and learn how that works. But I don't really have a clue :eek:

The router I'll be using is a ZyXEL 652H. So I was wondering if anybody in the know could give me a link or two explaining the techniques? I think I understand the concepts but want to confirm how to put it into practice so I can get setup quickly. I think what I'll be wanting to do is use say 2 or 3 of the IPs for:- my extranet server, my main rig, and possibly my laptop. Then I will want to have normal NAT for all the rest of the pcs using one of the spare IPs, and leave the others unused. Is that possible? Have I got the right idea?

Thanks, null :)

Associate
I think you need a router with 3 ports, does the 652 have a dmz port? I use a cisco 837, dialer port, dmz port for mailserver, webserver etc etc and a lan port for the internal pc's

Soldato
the only adsl router i know that supports nat and no nat (to use BT's Terminoligy) at the same time is the Effiecent Networks 5861.

Most high end kit proably supports this but the 5861 is theonly one i have physically seen working like this.

PS. if you get 4 ips you only get 1 usable, 3 address are used by router broadcast etc

Last edited:
Associate
You should get 8 static ips of which 6 are available for the router and other devices (the router may let you reuse the router WAN side IP on its LAN side saving on IP).

This http://www.zen8463.zen.co.uk/StaticIP/03.htm has useful tips on setting zen static IP's up using a different router but could be adapted if you find nothing more specific.

Get everthing working first treating your statics Ip as if it were a variable one.

Use DHCP were you can, and static IP if you must.

Soldato
m_cozzy said:
I think you need a router with 3 ports, does the 652 have a dmz port? I use a cisco 837, dialer port, dmz port for mailserver, webserver etc etc and a lan port for the internal pc's

Can you configure an 837 to have a separate network of a different network port? I thought that it only had Ethernet0 as it's LAN port, and you couldn't do a separate DMZ off it? (the 4 ports on the back being just a simple switch?)

Associate
You will not need a "router with 3 ports" it will quite happily run by setting your machine IPs manually.

May be dependant on the router you use though

I'm using F2S with a draytek router (internal IP set to last IP in IP range given by F2S) connected to a Cisco PIX 501 (the Pix uses 1st IP) and then NAT and PAT for the remaining 4 IP addresses

Also of the 8 IPs you are given 6 are usable the 1st is the subnet address and the last is the broadcast address

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok thanks guys for all the help. It seems like it's going to be a case of trial and error/improvement. As such, I have a question: will it be possible to just carry on like I used to with f2s? i.e. just use 1 WAN IP for all pcs. This is just so that I can still get on the net if I'm having difficulty setting up (I won't be able to access forums etc. 'till I get it working so I need a failsafe plan! :eek: ).

Associate
OP
Got it :D

Zen turned the order around very quickly, so much so that I got a little confused when I found my website was offline yesterday while checking it at school. They'd already done the migration! Problem was, that they'd done it so soon that they hadn't even sent us the e-mail with technical details (username, ips etc.). So yesterday I had to use a dial up connection to fetch the details and get it setup! A bit like the old message 'no keyboard detected, press f1 to contiune'. Multiple IPs are in fact a lot easier than the impression I got from this thread! I have infact got it setup with all the client-only PCs running off one NATted IP, and the serving sytems with dedicated IPs - which I had got the impression I wouldn't be able to do. Infact, the most time consuming part was setting up the firewall (when I just used NAT I didn't need it of course).

If anyone is up for a bit of security testing, I would be glad to hear. Try earth.piggott.me.uk, water.piggott.me.uk, and fire.piggott.me.uk and tell me of any vulnerabilities!

Back
Top Bottom