• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900 bump down ati prices?

Associate
will the release of the 7900 series knock pounds off the x1900xtx? or will it not effect it at all? 50/50 on buying the £370 powercolour xtx now or waiting for 7900 when the offer will have stopped. i have sli mobo.

Caporegime
Depends on lots of things:
performance and price of the 7900 models
Production cost/yeilds/margins on the X1900 cards
ATI's future card release dates
AIB's costs and pricing.

There are rumours going around that the 7900 will undercut the X1900 (current) price structure. This will likely force ATI to lower prices but is no guarantee.

Soldato
Unlikely i would say, buy while the goings good.

Gibbo (who works for OcUK) suggested ATI believe their cards are priced too low & likely prices will actually increase, Especially considering conversion rates to US dollars. Gibbo has stated their current ATI cards are priced cheap as they got them at a better conversion rate than is possible now & as such its likely that the next batch wont be so cheap. Take that info as you will.

But Now looks like a good time to buy, imo.

See here ... http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17535924
RE : Connect3d X1900XT-X why so cheap

Gibbo said:
Hi there

We got a deal price and did the deal whilst the dollar rate was very good, which basically means our buy price on these is much lower than it is now, due to us taking quantity and buying at the right time. This allows us to offer the product out at such a great price. :)

We did have just over 250 in stock on Friday evening but already our stock is sub 200 units so selling very quickly. :D

Gibbo said:
Get ya wallet out then. :p

Seriously most other places are putting prices up and if our cheap stock sells out quickly we will be forced to buy new stock at higher prices due to the very poor dollar rates......

Last edited:
Caporegime
ACESHIGH said:
Gibbo (who works for OcUK) suggested ATI believe their cards are priced too low & likely prices will actually increase, Especially considering conversion rates to US dollars.

makes you want to buy one before the price rises doesn't it. ;)

Soldato
00fil00 said:
i doubt they will put up prices on the eve of nvidias release. expecially since nvidia plan to beat atis price.

yes but thats retail prices thats being talked about. thats always different to actual sale prices (which are almost always lower).

Soldato
For those who doubted what i posted above .. more proof ...

Gibbo said:
Hi there

I definetely think its worth changing, let me explain:-

1. If you sell your 7800 GTX 512MB now you will probably get what you paid for, maybe even make a profit, especially considering its a BFG model. Get it on Ebay or the MM and you will no doubt sell it easily at no loss.
2. If you wait for 7900 GTX 512, then you 7800 GTX 512 will be worth very little money as nobody will want one once 7900's are widely available and possibly for less too, maybe around £399 +VAT new for a 7900 GTX 512.
3. Upgrading to an X1900 XT-X is that, an upgrade its better in more or less every aspect plus you will have change left over too and its good for OcUK as they get to sell another card. :D

Basically if you wait, your not gonna get much for your 7800 GTX....
If you sell now you will get good money, be able to buy an X1900 and have change. Come when the 7900 GTX is released you may decide to keep the ATI if you get hooked on the improved image quality or otherwise sell it for hardly no less as the prices are definetely increasing, no doubt to around the £350-£400+VAT area for an XT-X.....

from a post Gibbo made just now... see here ..
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17539147

Now do i get an apology ?

Associate
OP
"as the prices are definetely increasing, no doubt to around the £350-£400+VAT area for an XT-X....." = thats what they are now! thats not an increase. prices always fall. and of course gibbo is going to tell the guy to sell his 7800gtx on ebay and come back to ocers for a shiny new £400 xtx.

OcUK Staff
00fil00 said:
"as the prices are definetely increasing, no doubt to around the £350-£400+VAT area for an XT-X....." = thats what they are now! thats not an increase. prices always fall. and of course gibbo is going to tell the guy to sell his 7800gtx on ebay and come back to ocers for a shiny new £400 xtx.

OcUK is not £350 - £400+VAT for an XT-X though................

OcUK is £320 - £350 +VAT for XT-X's. :)

My advice is good advice and yes it means OcUK gets an extra sale too, but everyone is happy all round. :)

Associate
OP
AWPC said:
If the inquirer.net story is on the mark (and they are more often than not) then the 7900 is not gonna be an X1900 killer so prices will probably go up more to reflect the market leader status corporate execs just love to wallow in.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29795

naw, the 7900 isnt an x1900 killer so it is going to be released at a lower price than x1900, ati will have to lower its prices before everyone buys a 7900. my opinion but we will see ;)

Associate
No way in my opinion is the 7900 gonna be cheaper than the x1900; Nvidia never make there newer models cheaper than their last and it would also mean that the mid-range prices would be affected and thus be like shooting thmselves in the foot.

Associate
malccy said:
No way in my opinion is the 7900 gonna be cheaper than the x1900; Nvidia never make there newer models cheaper than their last and it would also mean that the mid-range prices would be affected and thus be like shooting thmselves in the foot.
Agreed especially as they show no sign of making 7800's cheaper.

Soldato
00fil00 said:
naw, the 7900 isnt an x1900 killer so it is going to be released at a lower price than x1900, ati will have to lower its prices before everyone buys a 7900. my opinion but we will see ;)
Well if it is cheaper I'd be amazed as the X1900 are already good VFM. 7900 is replacing the entire 7800 series so perhaps that is Nvidias ploy to undermine ATI by offering lower priced but better featured mid range 7900 cards. The higher end models apparently represent a tiny %wise of their overall business.

Time will tell.

Associate
OP
nvidia has already said because they cannot beat the x1900xtx this time round they will have to make the price lower than it to offer anything at all. this is what i heard so it cant be guaranteed but it makes sense since the inquirer newspaper has found out they are having to drop the clocks to 650mhz due to issues.

Associate
OP
oh look not weeks after i tell everyone prices will not go up and that this is just a ruse to the gullible- the ATI price cuts are on the horizon. Yes, i laugh at all those who believed the "prices are going up! buy them while you can!" from ocers. At most they would have gone up for a month. technology ages, it doesnt go up in price. new prices will be x1900xtx £320. with or without VAT im not sure.

Associate
i cant see ati's prices coming down to be honest, they obviously think their product is better so why should they lower there price to try and compete in a market theyve lost loads on over the past 12 months with the 7800 series owning everything they could muster.
the x1900xtx is top of the tree now so theyre not going to let that slip are they or reduce the price of it either imo.

Associate
OP
because nvidia will be selling 7900s cheap. would you rather lose out on say 10fps (madeup figure) for £100? no you would just buy the cheaper 7900 and save money, even overclock to get back the 10fps. ATI will lose money if they dont cut prices no matter if they are best or not, the majority of people care more about money than small increases in performance. id say 80%-90% of people buy 1 generation behind the top because of the massive prices, that means 7900 if a lot cheaper will dominate. ATI must come down not up.

Back
Top Bottom