CD to ipod(mp3 player) ripping NOT fare use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hi All,

I’ve just found this article in my inbox.

http://www.macuser.co.uk/?news/news_story.php?id=83570
(hope it works, I'm not very good with links!)

It seems that the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) is changing it’s stance regarding what it believes is “fare use” of CD’s. It looks like the RIAA now believes that copying music you have purchased onto your ipod is illegal.

I have generally supported the introduction of DRM technology, as I believe that companies and artists have to protect their investment. I never buy copied CD’s (despite living in a country where they are rampant and cost around 2 pounds MAX), don’t let others copy my music library and never download illegally from the net. But I also never listed to CD’s directly, I always copy them to itunes and then listen to them on my ipod of through my stereo using a wireless link. It now seems that the RIAA want to make me a criminal. I find this truly disgusting.

I’m amazed that these fools don’t realise the harm they are doing to their own cause. Many people already don’t consider illegally copying to be a crime, this kind of action only reinforces peoples view that they are being ripped off and therefore have the right to steal music. This action may even push legal users into the illegal market, hey if the RIAA think I’m a criminal I may as well live up to their expectations

DRM is a good thing, but it must be balanced with the some consumer rights. I only hope the RIAA is told to get lost by the US courts and that the EU or UK government takes a more consumer led approach.

Does anyone have any idea of whether the RIAA are likely to be successful in enforcing this change of stance, or how it will effect us in Europe?

Cheers

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America)

There's your answer. They can't legally touch us in Europe.

Associate
OP
True, they can't touch us today. But once the ball starts rolling in the US, how long will it take before it hits us in Europe. My understanding is that the EU is not very consumer orientated when it comes to DRM (can't remember why I came to this comclusion though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom