CPU stuck to cheapo heatsink, which fan?

Associate
Got a slight problem, a friend of mine PC been having troubles. Noticed the CPU was running kinda high 70 degrees C, rofl.

Pulled out the CPU fan, and now the CPU is stuck to the heatsink. lol

Need help on which replacement fan to chooce because the fan seems to be running slow, can anyone spec me a replacement fan or suggest what I could do.

Pictures of my situation

http://www.mattryles.co.uk/images/Fan.JPG

http://www.mattryles.co.uk/images/Cpu.JPG

I measuered the fan from corner to corner and its measures 92mm.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Also, please spec something in stock because will have to pick up today.

Thanks

Associate
Vantec SF9225L Stealth 92mm fan - Retail (FG-004-VT) 20 dBA/28 CFM
£6.99 inc vat

Or you might just want to get a better heatsink, starting at the £10 mark.

Associate
Use a hairdryer or something very warm like an oven, helps to loosen the paste. Whatever you do dont put it in a microwave! :p

What socket CPU is it?

Associate
OP
thanks for the help.

no idea mate, not had chance to run anything and cant see the stepping or whatever to check if its a prescott.

never been a big fan of intel, i always seem to get problems like this.

will a hairdryer hurt the chip at all, cant afford a new chip but a fan seems easier on the pocket.

if i just get a fan for the heatsink will the thermal paste underneath be ok to just replace the fan and put back in the board?

need to sort asap. thanks

Soldato
Unless you get the CPU off the heatsink I can't see how you are going to put it back in the board without bending the CPU pins!
Just heat the heatsink up with a hair dryer or heatgun then carefully prise the cpu off the heatsink. Why dont you buy a half decent HSF like the Arctic freezer or similar.

Soldato
this happened with my mates celeron, it is possible to get it back in but he struggled and it makes a rather nasty crunch sound :eek: . It probably would be better to remove it if you can.

Mark

Associate
I had this as well, but the screwdriver slipped when i was prizing the CPU off. No joke!!!

I strongly advise you take a look at the mobo socket as well, as in order to pull the CPU+HSF off at the same time, the locking mechanism must have been put under a lot of force, and could be broken. That would mean a new motherboard unfortunately. To be honest, unless its absolutely necessary, i wouldn't take the HSF off a CPU, mainly because i have the fear of the last time i did it, lol!

Associate
did u use superglue insted of thermal paste :lol:

i would have thought useing a hairdryer wwould be bad fior the chip they do projuce some static dont they :huh:

Associate
OP
remember not my machine, but the pc was brought from a catalogue, one of those high grade things so that was just how it was built.

left it with him cause i dont wanna kill his cpu and him to blame me etc, i told him to hairdryer it off and get a new one.

Permabanned
The way I would do it, is hairdrier it on full heat, and push the CPU's shim against a flat-headed screwdriver so it will (or should) eventually budge.

Ie: Screwdriver between knees/vice. Put CPU's shim against screwdriver, and put as much force as you can/dare on it. Heat up with hairdrier, and pray.

The othey way I'd do it, is put a credit card (or some other piece of plastic) against what little edge there is on the CPU, and wedge a screwdriver in there to try and twist it apart.

Associate
Heat the thermal paste up as has been sugested, and then cut through the paste with some dental floss (or similar), using a sawing action and the friction will cut through the paste no problem. Starting at a corner should make it easier.

I used this method to remove a shim from a 9800pro. Worked a treat :)

Associate
My mate had this prob too, he brought his cpu and heatsink to mine and i used a butter knife to slide it off, worked a treat as butter knifes are completely flat and dont really have a sharp edge, i also used this method when removing the backplate off my msi neo2 plat mobo so i could install my watercooling block.

Back
Top Bottom