The Best Antivirus/Firewall solution?

n3x

n3x

Associate
Im after a decent setup to protect me from the nasties on the internet but at the same time not slow down my system too much.

Currently im running zonealarm (firewall only) with kasperspy antivirus...

Im interested in knowing what setups u guys n gals run and how much they affect windows performance in your opinion?

Associate
Kaspersky and the windows SP2 firewall seems to work for me :) Kaspersky is by far the best AV program I've used.

Man of Honour
You won't go far wrong with Kaspersky and Zone Alarm.

My set up is Avast, Ewido and Windows FW. Never been hacked, never been infected. :)

Soldato
I personally use Kerio, its never let me down so far.

Although I can't use my Internet Explorer. I need to deny my internet explorer any access to the Internet, because if I do then my PC gets absolutely loaded with spyware, my homepage and favorites get changed, desktop icons appear....the lot! Its all stuff my anti spyware software doesnt pick up :|

Anyway, Kerio is the way to go for a firewall I think. I use AVG for Anti Virus Software, and use spybot and ad-aware for any spyware. Although when it comes to internet explorer these packages let me down :(

Soldato
NOD32, Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall. I can't remember exactly how much NOD32 costs but it's been well worth it so far and Windows Firewall is good too, well compared to Norton "Attention Whore" AntiVirus and Norton "We Don't Want You To Be Able To Access Anything On The Net Without Our Say-so" Firewall.

Edit: My router has a firewall too :o

Last edited:
Man of Honour
shifty_uk said:
I personally use Kerio, its never let me down so far.

Although I can't use my Internet Explorer. I need to deny my internet explorer any access to the Internet, because if I do then my PC gets absolutely loaded with spyware, my homepage and favorites get changed, desktop icons appear....the lot! Its all stuff my anti spyware software doesnt pick up :|

Anyway, Kerio is the way to go for a firewall I think. I use AVG for Anti Virus Software, and use spybot and ad-aware for any spyware. Although when it comes to internet explorer these packages let me down :(
That sounds like you have a trojan, do an online scan with Pestpatrol or download Ewido (free) as a check. Just conecting to the internet shouldn't make IE do that.

Associate
Vote for NOD32. I am wary of the free anti-virus apps. My sister was running AVG quite merrily for nearly a year (fully updated because i would remind her to and made sure she ran a scan at least once a week). Took that off, installed Kaspersky and it literally went mad with all the nasties that AVG missed (iirc 40+ instances!) :eek:

I dont bother with a firewall (have hardware firewall on my router), although in the past i've found Zonealarm and Sygate both very good (and free)

Associate
For my clients, I go with AVG and ZA Pro (built in Spy). no one has any problems. ( do get them to use Ad-Aware SE

Now for me !!! I only use ZA pro on my main box, I do a once a year check with AVG and a online check every 2-3 months, I have never had a virus,
never had any Spyware. ( odd cookie - tracker that ZA gets)
I dont put things on my machine I dont know. ie atm i have 35 processes running and thats only due to a couple a things i am working on.

I know some will call me a fool, but 9/10 its not the machine but the user.

On any machine that I put other peoples HD/s in and my Laptop I use AVG / ZA

Back
Top Bottom