Took a ride in a souped up Mitsubishi Evo VII today... yikes!

Caporegime
OMG OMG OMG...

One of my friends at work has a Mitsubishi Evo VII that is souped up to the max (350bhp or something silly) and today he took me out for a spin in Crawley on some quiet roads. Despite the power it's actually a very practical car, roomy on the inside and doesn't really look flash or attention grabbing to those who don't know what it is. The interior is functional and tidy and doesn't look like a racing cockpit compared to my other friends (also a colleague) Mitsubishi FTO. All in all its a very, very nice car looks-wise, sleek yet understated.

Anyway that's by the by, on to the performance. Let me just say I've never been in any sort of really fast car, in fact the fastest I've ever been in his mates Saab 2.0l convertible, nippy but not exactly a muscle machine.

So we got out on to quiet little stretch and he put his foot down and I xxxx you not it was like being on a jumbo jet at takeoff I was thrust back in my seat and I let out a yelp reminiscent of a four-year-old girl who's just seen her doll beheaded by her evil brother. Simply unbelievable, I have never experienced anything like it, we got up to 130 mph in what seemed like a few seconds, and while many of you are probably shaking your head about now it was so momentous I felt I had to share it.

I now have the taste for a muscle car like that and I think I will save up for two years and get my no claims bonus, then splurge on something similar.

Did anyone else feel like that when they tasted their first dose of real car speed? :D

Last edited:
Associate
Wait till you are actually driving and find that your own car scares you. You get used to it and it begins to feel slow. You up the power again and it feels fast a scarey again... and after a while it feels average and so so.

Then someone else drives your car and yelps and talks about 'surge' - when your like this :/ going "hold on, you only had your foot down for 1 seccond and didnt even hit 5000 revs".

Caporegime
OP
lol yeah I know full well what you mean by the whole "becoming jaded" thing, it applies to all things in life. But i'll bet getting to the jaded stage is fun. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I remember when I first got my Scoob I felt similar to how you describe. It was the first real performance car I had ever driven. You do get used to it quite quickly though.

People have similar reactions when I take them out in my car, it's funny because they are giggling like a girl etc but I'm completely used to it.

About as close to it I have come lately was when a friend took me out in his Tiger Cat (Westfield/Caterham clone) fitted with a 140bhp Toyata Twin-cam. Acceleration didn't feel any quicker than my car, but the overall feeling of speed was awesome being so out in the open and close to the tarmac.

Associate
Had a quick go in my brothers elise last week and it also felt quick, but in a different way to my 200sx. Nice feeling being in an open top close to the tarmack. Found myself making excuses with my car saying "I should have increased the damping on my shocks to reduce the bouncing" and so on.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
DreXeL said:
Depends on model, level of tune etc.

Aye, could have been a 2.5 NA :)

Yeah they are Rapid, had a ride in a friends 7 a few years ago and was very quick. Think the first car like that I went in was an Impreza RB5, but the nice WR sport edition with PPP :)

Soldato
350bhp souped up? pah my evo daily driver does that and its pretty much standard :p

My souped up evo is now close to 500bhp!!!

There's no turning back now you have the bug mate, slow cars just wont cut the mustard ;) i remember my first taste in the early 90's, i thought my car was fast till i had a blast of a mates 3 door cossies i went home and stripped out my car trying to make it go faster lol

Associate
Richdog said:
I now have the taste for a muscle car like that and I think I will save up for two years and get my no claims bonus, then splurge on something similar.

<Pedant mode>
NOT a muscle car...a very quick car maybe,
but never a MUSCLE car
/<Pedant mode>

I remember the 1st time I was a passenger in a quick car, IIRC it was a friends fully prepped 1968 Camaro (real muscle), I was 17 at the time, and decided that was the car for me. 19 years later, still looking for one.

Caporegime
OP
great advice said:
350bhp souped up? pah my evo daily driver does that and its pretty much standard :p

My souped up evo is now close to 500bhp!!!

lol his may be more than 350bhp, that was just a rough guess on my part. :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
OMG OMG OMG...

One of my friends at work has a Mitsubishi Evo VII that is souped up to the max (350bhp or something silly) and today he took me out for a spin in Crawley on some quiet roads. Despite the power it's actually a very practical car, roomy on the inside and doesn't really look flash or attention grabbing to those who don't know what it is. The interior is functional and tidy and doesn't look like a racing cockpit compared to my other friends (also a colleague) Mitsubishi FTO. All in all its a very, very nice car looks-wise, sleek yet understated.

Anyway that's by the by, on to the performance. Let me just say I've never been in any sort of really fast car, in fact the fastest I've ever been in his mates Saab 2.0l convertible, nippy but not exactly a muscle machine.

So we got out on to quiet little stretch and he put his foot down and I xxxx you not it was like being on a jumbo jet at takeoff I was thrust back in my seat and I let out a yelp reminiscent of a four-year-old girl who's just seen her doll beheaded by her evil brother. Simply unbelievable, I have never experienced anything like it, we got up to 130 mph in what seemed like a few seconds, and while many of you are probably shaking your head about now it was so momentous I felt I had to share it.

Did anyone else feel like that when they tasted their first dose of real car speed? :D

I know how you felt man lol, I went in a Porche 911 GT2 Got up to 125mph but we had to slow down for nasty bends.

Was the best car journey ive ever been on, it was only for about 7 miles though which was a bit of a shame :(

Associate
Fastest thing ive been in was my mates dad's 911 Turbo, that was very fast.

So long ago though, forgotten what a fast car feels like :(

Soldato
I was a little disappointed when I got my M3 (first performance car) as I have been permently spoiled for speed by my GSXR, now going on that for the first time was scary!

Being out in the wind on two wheels with a 3 and a bit 0-60 is really sphincter clenching experience I can tell you.

But even that become mundane after a while :(

Until I get to go on the space shuttle or some form of rocket I don't think I will be happy ;)

Soldato
Had a ride in a 996 GT3 a year or so ago at the Classic Car show
at the NEC. The driver was some sort of Porsche ECU programmer
from what I remember.

We got up to 130Mph on a NSL road :D
That GT3 motor is something really special, oodles of torque throughout
the rev range demonstrated by reasonable acceleration in 6th at 30mph.
Though the sound it makes at 8000rpm is fantastic :D

One day I will own a Porka of somesort.

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom